BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have made a deal to sell my Ultra. I found a dealer ready to sell me a 2008 LT for $1,000 off of MSRP. I loved the bike at the show and the one I looked at in the dealership. I really want a bike with ABS but Im still having trouble pulling the trigger.

Is there anyone out there who has recently made this swap? Any regrets? i have never had a BMW before..... I could use some advice.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
All I can say is... 'ya gotta ride one to fully appreciate it! Different experience altogether!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Up to you.

Harley has ABS for their 08s. I would never ride a motorcycle without ABS. It is like insurance for me. Never know if you going to need it.

I used to ride a Harley for work in 97 for 5 years. I had a lot of fun that motor but really did not fit. I felt I was to far forward. I did not like the lack of power and the vibration. The heat off the engine. This not a Harley bash just things I did not like. I love my LT. To me, an LT is a large tourning motorcycle without losing the the motorcycle in it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pull The Trigger

I did the same thing last June. But I still have the hog(06 Ultra Classic). Where to begin.....The LT is twice the machine! I love the BMW's and the Dealer experience I just bought a new RT a few weeks ago. Now the Garage is getting sorta full. Think the Hog will be going up for sale in spring when it warms up a bit.

I haven't regretted it one bit! And it doesnt take 4 hrs to clean it and all the chrome anymore!

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
bjoseph said:
I may have made a deal to sell my Ultra. I found a dealer ready to sell me a 2008 LT for $1,000 off of MSRP. I loved the bike at the show and the one I looked at in the dealership. I really want a bike with ABS but Im still having trouble pulling the trigger.

Is there anyone out there who has recently made this swap? Any regrets? i have never had a BMW before..... I could use some advice.

If you have not yet done so read First impressions riding an LT posts in this forum. I went from a Road King Classic to an '06 LT and have never looked back. I really loved that RK.

My first ride on the LT was the 180 mile ride home from the dealer. The dealership was great (NC BMW-Ducati in Mathews, NC) and spent lots of time splianing the features. Every 3rd sentence form the salesmen was 'this is not your Harley..the brakes on this thing really work..' He was right. This thing was so awesome I remember at one point thinking it was or should even change the gears for me. Take some time to get to know it. It is not the Harley ride. I love it.

But what ever you decide will be the right decision. Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bam

All I can say is go for it...trust me...you will not look back at your harley once...just be careful...you will have a little bit more clearance in the twistes.... :dance:

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I just made the same swap last March. Sold my 2001 Ultra and bought an '07 K1200LT. Like I'm sure you'll hear from others, there really isn't any comparison as they are different tools for different jobs. For me, the reasons for the change were: 1) I wanted something that could be ridden more aggressively without constantly dragging chrome parts on the curves, 2) my SO wanted something that was more comfortable, better suspension, better ride, 3) I've had BMW's in the past and truly enjoyed them for long distance touring with better brakes, better handling, better fuel economy, more comfort features, better lighting, etc. Don't get me wrong, the HD was a lot of fun and if I could afford multiple bikes, would probably still have it. But the bottom line for one bike that really does everything I want it to do, the LT was the winner.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have many miles on Ulta's, Kings, Ft Boys, Lw Riders and some miles on V-rods Buels etc...

Harleys are great bikes!

I was "Bad to the Bone" now I'm "Serious to the Bone"

If you are serious about Touring and like Performance... just ride the thing for a couple days or a long day.

My LT has 100,693 miles on the speedo today... just broken in the way I like it.

REMEMBER: Life begins at 6,000 rpm (Beyond Potato, Potato, Potato)

·
Registered
30 Posts
K1200lt vs Ultra

I have had a few Harleys and the last one was a 2006 Ultra in Black Pearl. It's a beautiful bike, but last spring I test rode the K1200LT and loved it. The sporty feel, the ride, the power, the handling, the brakes, the responsiveness, all make the bike great to ride.
I was going to keep both bikes but will likely sell the Harley in the spring.
I expect I will be staying with BMW. I also really like the hydraulic center stand and all the extras like one button central locking. The ease of getting to the battery, adjusting the suspension, heated seats and heated handlebar grips make the bike more pleasureable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
bjoseph said:
...Is there anyone out there who has recently made this swap? Any regrets? i have never had a BMW before..... I could use some advice.
Give into your feelings..... come over to the dark side.... :bmw:

I traded my H-D for my BMW. The BMW is a superior handling machine. Not so much low-end torque as the H-D, though. And not as much "soul" as the H-D.

But, man what a ride. The worst part is this thing goes too darned fast. Before I realise it, I am going 10 to 20 MPH above the current highway speed. I have to work to keep it legal.

The electric windshield is terrific. I keep it down all the time for a smooth flow of air, but if I raise it I am in a bubble of still air in case I want to open the helmet for an eye-rub, or drink, or snack, or if the weather turns nasty.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
05 Road Glide to 07 LT (in the fastest color I cant pronounce) and have never looked back. If you want a sophisticated touring bike you have found it in the LT.

Two very different machines and engineering thoughts. Just way different.

I do like Harley's but I LOVE my first BMW.

I will take this 4 cylinder, 4 valves a cylinder, over any v-twin.

This LT just does what you ask in any situation, and is a real joy to drive.

If you like it, after a few hundred you will love it, and the addiction begins.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you do make the switch let me know since I live around the corner from you and I'll give you my two thoughts on the dealerships in the area.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would love some info...

nplenzick said:
If you do make the switch let me know since I live around the corner from you and I'll give you my two thoughts on the dealerships in the area.

Thanks... I would love to know your thoughts. I have spoken with 3 dealers so far and have had different experiences with all of them. PM me anytime and thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Trans Am in Lancaster is a GREAT dealer. Leave Velocity alone, FAR alone.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I had an Ultra Classic when I purchase my LT. I had decided I would ride them both. BUT after I started riding the LT, I hardly ever rode the Ultra, and sold it last spring. SO, no real comparison in my opinion if you can divorce yourself from the harley mystic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When you compare the two with an open mind, it's a no brainer! The LT has the edge in all categories. I really like the fairing/console staying straight when you turn, and the sportbike feel of the LT. As stated before, they are different animals and you need to get use to winding out the RPM's. Shifts are so much fun!

·
Registered
164 Posts
HD to LT

I rode HD's for 30 years ( yea i am a slow learner ) I was hooked on the lifestyle ... not the ride. I thought I was on the biggest and the baddest,
until I went to pass a truck on my new 1999 twin cam flh and almost didn't make it.

I was not going to sink a bunch of money into a $20k + bike just so i can pass safely.

When i test road an LT ( test rides not given by HD ) i was won over to the dark side by this seductive machine... it corners , passes with ease, and comfort way past the FLH.

The hardest thing you will face will be lugging the motor on the LT trying to shift it like the HD keep the revs up and this bike will sing.

I was ready to get over the attitude, and the PI$$ pore excuse for a motorcycle. And that my friend is a decision only you can make...

MY 2 cents, YMMV

·
Registered
23 Posts
I traded an 02' LT for an 05' Ultra in March of 05'. The bike was gorgeous, was trouble free and worked great during the time I rode it. It is currently for sale, in my garage at a huge discount for what I paid for it in 05'.
I recently purchased an 05' LT and so glad that I am back in the BMW saddle.
The Beemer handles better, stops better, is more comfortable(personal taste), looks better(personal preference), gets better gas mileage, and I just feel better riding the BMW. Proud in fact!!!
HD's are fine machines and carry a lot of tradition. But they just do not cut the mustard, if you like to ride fast, far, and safe. It is a lot easier to lead or ride with a pack of Metric riders on a BMW.
Go LT's, RT's, GS's, R's, RS's K's all of them!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Ultra to LT

I did it myself. I sent a 05 Ultra Screaming Eagle to the dealer for a 2008 LT - even swap - wow I lost 13k/

I took delivery on Sat and had my first ride on Monday.

I think it is a great machine. WOW the torque is amazing through all gears. I think it is very much more top heavy and I will admit the HD toe/heel shifting is very difficult to adjust to. I am into my second day and I am still adjusting and have yet to get a smooth 5 gear shift. That will solve itself, I am sure. The RPM differences within the various gears are amazing. I think the 5th is amazing the most.

I am hardly a good source but I love it. I am bathing the Blue Lady every day. WOW.......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts