BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RT1200rt 2011.

Going on an extended trip 18000ks.

Presently have 7000kms and the tyres seem OK.

I am tossing up whether to change them now and then in another 10000, if they last that long.

The question is what sort of wear do you expect 2 up and luggage?

ta

·
Registered
79 Posts
You know that it depends lot of factors.
- 2 up get more wear.
- Temperatures - more heat-more wear
- condition of road - rough pavement eat the tyres in a fast way
- manner of riding - strong acceleration and stpps are not the best for types life

You know better your route and how you ride. If I were you I would replace the tyres, because normally I reach 18,000 km with one set. Provided I ride in Europe. If however I go down in Africa or Middle east this is another story.

Enjoy your trip

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I really don't have enough experience with the RT to give an opinion specific to the bike, but I have owned a ST1100 for the previous 12 years and in my experience I was very fortunate to have the front tire last 15,000 km but I could get 20,000 out of the back. So if I were planning your trip and it goes past or through a town/city near the life expectancy of your present tires that has a reputable bike shop I would make arrangements now to change out the tires when I arrived there. If I started out on a 18,000 km trip I would in all likelihood have to change the front tire in any case but would be looking for a tire while on the road, it may not be in stock, could end up needing the unscheduled stop on a Friday and they can't get the tire till Tuesday..... and I would rather be taking pictures than dealing with that. The other thing you probably need to get an oil change sometime in the trip, if the tire and oil change could coincide that would be a big bonus.

Just my 2 cents

Gerhard

·
Registered
41 Posts
Depends a lot on how much weight you have on. We just did Tasmania for a month - wife, tent, sleeping bags etc so it was pretty much up to the weight limit. I have a new set of PR3s on before we left and the rear is probably ready for a replacement soon with about 10,000k on it. Did not notice the wear so much on the front, but definitely noticed the extra heat and wear on the rear when the roads got twisty. As a point of reference, I got about 18,000 out of the OEM Bridgestones.

I guess it also depends on what type of roads you will be travelling on. The roads in Tassie are generally pretty smooth, but there is some rough bitumen between Can River and Cooma that chewed the rear up a bit as well.

Based on my experience, I would be getting some new rubber on before you leave. If your current set have plenty of wear left, you could set them aside and put them on when you get back.

18,000 is a decent trip - where you going?

·
Registered
127 Posts
My opinion is, if you are wondering about replacing tires....then you should replace them. Safety should override savings every time. If you don't replace them and have an issue, you will keep saying "I knew I should have just changed them".....and who knows what your SO will be saying !!!
:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts