BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I have just had Dunlop Roadsmart tyres fitted to my 2010 RT, it came with Road Attack tyres from new which picked up a nail at 4500 miles and were not worth fixing. I used a local tyre fitting company as my local BMW dealer is 20 miles away.
They were dynamically balanced and had 60 grams on the rear and 35 grams on the front which is more than I have ever used in the past. The yellow spot is next to the valve, the tyres are running true to the wheel and the bike rides well, the previous tyres had zero on the front and 10 grams on the rear.
I have used my own static balancer and the weights are correct, the rims are straight with less than 0.5mm run out.
Has anyone here experienced the need for this much weight, and has anyone used the Dunlop Roadsmart, it so how much weight do they have on them?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Crikey that does sound a bit more than usual.. for a modern bike tyre.
Back in the day when I was fitting tyres, if we had to load up what we thought was an excessive amount of weight we's pop the tyre off the rim and turn it 180 degrees to see if it made any difference. We are talking mostly car tyres, the bike tyres we fitted were balanced with a static balancer, but TBH, we didn't do a lot, mostly race wheels.

Now this was back when tyres were not as well made as they are now.

For what it's worth, I fit Michelins to my RT and have never found the need to balance them. I've also fitted a few other makes to a VFR I had for many years and ended up mot balancing those either.

Have you tried removing the weights and checking the balance without them to see if it parks on the opposite side. I know this means you'll have to reattach new ones if it is that far out.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Since you checked them yourself and they are indeed balanced now with the seemingly excess weight, I would just call it interesting and move on. It is above the suggested maximum about of weight but not by much (15 or 20) grams. I probably would remove the wheel and move the tire 180*. But on the other hand is it worth the trouble, probably not. I would try another brand of tire next time. Michelin Pilot Road or Pilot Power 2CT series or my favorite Metzler Z6. Plenty of premium tires to choose from and since it is just about the most important part of the bike I suggest not to scrimp here.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wonder how far a tyre goes out of balance through it's life. I think it's a pretty safe bet that very few riders periodically re check the balance on motorcycle tyres. What with the cupping I've seen on the front and rear of many RT's and different makes of tyres. Be interesting to hear from anyone who has re checked balance at say 25, 50, 75 & 100% of wear.
I had our car fronts done when I felt some vibes at a certain speed, but never had cause to do the bike tyres
\v/

·
Registered
860 Posts
1964Hall said:
I wonder how far a tyre goes out of balance through it's life.
A motorcycle tire can go out of balance in as little as 3000K... I R&R M/C tires as a hobby... So mine get R&R or just rebalanced a bunch. I have a front AVON with over 10K on it and it nice and round, no supping (I hate that word) and it's still able to do more. Yet, a whole lot 'o' folks complain about how bad the AVON front tire is...

As an aside... I just did an R&R on a set I installed last year for a guy. As a curiosity, I put the old rear tire and rim on the machine... it would have to have another 1.5 to 2 oz's to bring it back in balance... and it was perfect when he left my shop in 2010.

Proper pressure and what I call "1/2 life" re-balance will get you more miles to a set and keep you riding safely...

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I have an RT, but my K13S burns tires in 3 to 4K miles, no worries about re balance. :rotf:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts