BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my GS-911 and it seems to work fine. The good and bad news is that no fault codes were found. My LT has a sag just off-idle when starting out from a stop. I was hoping the GS-911 would find a bad oxygen sensor or something that might be causing the problem.

Anyway, what are typical readings you see for the TPS? Mine showed 4.16 degrees at idle and 81.60 at WOT. I did the calibration routine and the values basically stayed the same. Do these values seem reasonable? I expected idle to be closer to 0 degrees, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as the ECU has calibrated the 4.16 degrees to be idle.

The oxygen sensor cycle between 100 mV and 800 mV at idle which I think is reasonable so no obvious problem here.

The only other surprise was that I didn't check the web site closely enough when looking at the Bluetooth support. I just assumed my iPhone would be supported. Not!! Oh well...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
No the iOS does not allow data via BT so the problem is with the phone not the GS-911. Maybe Apple will allow it in the future.

I have not run real time on my LT as I haven't had any issues. Guess I could do it just for a sample point for you.

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jzeiler said:
No the iOS does not allow data via BT so the problem is with the phone not the GS-911. Maybe Apple will allow it in the future.

I have not run real time on my LT as I haven't had any issues. Guess I could do it just for a sample point for you.
John, I'd appreciate that if nobody else chimes in with some sample data. I just co0uldn't resist trying out the features last night when I got things plugged in and working. It was pretty cool, even though no faults were found with either engine or ABS.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
Have you tried the bleed pressure test yet in the new Beta release?

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
jzeiler said:
I read that this was supposed to be available now, but I did not see it anywhere in the menus. I am running GS-911 Beta 1207.5, but did not see the bleed test anywhere.

The attached file shows the screen I see when I select the ABS option.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jzeiler said:
I just checked the roadmap and it has this comment regarding the bleed test:

"We are adding all ABS functionality. There are now Bleed Tests for all ABS units barring the 2 Servo based ones (working on those - should be out shortly)"

Do you know if the LT is a "2 servo" system? I have not been able to find any option in the GS-911 interface that provides this capability for my LT.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
It would be nice if they could come up with an ABS piston actuator. I'm sure that's how mine crapped out. Not being used enough.

Jer

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
Voyager said:
I just checked the roadmap and it has this comment regarding the bleed test:

"We are adding all ABS functionality. There are now Bleed Tests for all ABS units barring the 2 Servo based ones (working on those - should be out shortly)"

Do you know if the LT is a "2 servo" system? I have not been able to find any option in the GS-911 interface that provides this capability for my LT.
Oops guess I read that too quickly and missed the "two servo" part. I know we do have two pumps on the I-ABS system.

I just looked at the site and it says:

"Adding Integral (servo) ABS functionality (for 1150and non-CAN K1200): ABS Bleed Tests, Status, Output Tests, Sensor Drift Test"

I have not had a chance to try it out yet but I see no reference to 2 servo systems here?

OK found the road map (last updated july 2011) Beta 1207 may have it. I'll get a chance this weekend to look at it.

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jzeiler said:
Oops guess I read that too quickly and missed the "two servo" part. I know we do have two pumps on the I-ABS system.

I just looked at the site and it says:

"Adding Integral (servo) ABS functionality (for 1150and non-CAN K1200): ABS Bleed Tests, Status, Output Tests, Sensor Drift Test"

I have not had a chance to try it out yet but I see no reference to 2 servo systems here?

OK found the road map (last updated july 2011) Beta 1207 may have it. I'll get a chance this weekend to look at it.
I am running beta 1207.5 as I mentioned earlier and I still don't see the ABS bleed test option. I will look again when I next have the connected to the LT.

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
C-A-D said:
Voyager: Did you notice the comment: "Bike must be powered up and GS- connected when selecting the bike-model from the main menu. At that point it recognizes the available controller-specific functionality".
Yes, I did have it connected as you don't see much otherwise. Still did not see the bleed test option and from the road map on the web site it appears to me that it is not yet even in the beta, at least not for the LT.

However, if someone found a way to do this, please share as I would love to be able to make this check since I just flushed my brakes a few months ago. I think I am OK as I have no faults and the brakes work fine. However, I haven't activated the ABS so I can't be 100% sure that the ABS actually works.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
I checked it out tonight and it DOES have the bleed test. (Beta 1207.5) You have to have the GS-911 hooked up and the ignition on. Then select K1200, then Anti-Lock Braking System, from the menu. Then you will get several more choices sensor drift, bleed test, brake light test. They all worked fine on my bike - even passed the bleed test.

If you just run the software without hooking the GS-911 up you will only see the normal ECU, Read Faults and Clear Faults choices for the ABS system.

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jzeiler said:
I checked it out tonight and it DOES have the bleed test. (Beta 1207.5) You have to have the GS-911 hooked up and the ignition on. Then select K1200, then Anti-Lock Braking System, from the menu. Then you will get several more choices sensor drift, bleed test, brake light test. They all worked fine on my bike - even passed the bleed test.

If you just run the software without hooking the GS-911 up you will only see the normal ECU, Read Faults and Clear Faults choices for the ABS system.
I'll try it again.

I was pretty sure I checked the ABS section after I had it hooked up and checking the real-time values. I wonder if this doesn't work if the engine is running?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Voyager said:
I'll try it again.

I was pretty sure I checked the ABS section after I had it hooked up and checking the real-time values. I wonder if this doesn't work if the engine is running?
BUT as I and JohnZ tried to say: You shouldn't select the bike model (K1200LT) until you have connected the GS to computer and the bike and bike is powered on. Maybe the slight difference.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
Ignition was on but he engine was not running. May make a difference.

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jzeiler said:
Ignition was on but he engine was not running. May make a difference.
It was as C-A-D and you surmised. I apparently before had selected the model before turning the ignition on.

I repeated it tonight and if I did that sequence, I did not see anything other than 3 menu options for the ABS. After doing it again in the correct sequence, I saw all of the options, including the bleed pressure test.

The front brake passed with no problem, so I decided to try to see if I could make the rear brake fail. So, I did not apply the brake to seat the pads as required by the instructions. Sure enough, the rear test failed. So, I repeated the test and it passed just fine. I was amazed at how much pressure was required on the brakes to get into the green zone.

I am liking this tool more all the time. Once I get a little more familiar with it and the correct sequences of operation, I think it will be just the cat's meow. Now if I could just confirm that my "sag" when starting out was due to ethanol in my gas rather that something wrong with the LT...

I am wondering now what else I can see on the ECU menus by turning on the key before selecting the model. Unfortunately, I didn't have my laptop plugged in tonight and the battery is old and feeble and it ran down before I had time to get into the other menus.

It does appear that there is still a lot that the GS-911 can't access, but maybe I just haven't found all of the hidden passageways. For example, the dealer gave me a report that listed the number of times I had applied the brakes, both front and rear and a whole lot of other statistics that I haven't yet seen from the GS-911. Lots more exploration to be done!

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
I guess I need to ask, but does this have to be the Bluetooth model? My non-BT doesn't come up with the sensor drift, bleed test, brake light tests. I connected the 911, started up the bike and then started the software, selected K series, K1200LT and ABS. No joy. All I get are the standard 3 options of ECU info, read and clear faults.

I do have the latest Beta version.

Thanks for any insight,
Jer

·
Registered
594 Posts
jers99lt said:
I guess I need to ask, but does this have to be the Bluetooth model? My non-BT doesn't come up with the sensor drift, bleed test, brake light tests. I connected the 911, started up the bike and then started the software, selected K series, K1200LT and ABS. No joy. All I get are the standard 3 options of ECU info, read and clear faults.

I do have the latest Beta version.

Thanks for any insight,
Jer
Only works with the I-ABS, servo-powered brakes. You seem to have the good old 99'er with ABS2 like me...

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
C-A-D said:
Only works with the I-ABS, servo-powered brakes. You seem to have the good old 99'er with ABS2 like me...
That would be correct. Thanks for the info.

Jer

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
Glad you finally got a chance to try it out!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts