BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Congrats! It is a hard thing to do, I sure wish my son would.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used smoke away , i never had a craving still dont , even in smoke filled rooms

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Congrats Lenny!! Dec 12th 2003 for me. I was convinced I would be one of those guys pulling the tube out of my throat for a butt. Must have tried 20 times to quit. The LT was kind of a reward for finally making it. Keep it up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quit

I commend you for your efforts as quitting smoking is about as difficult of a task as I have seen anyone struggle with. My limited experience (24yrs) watching people say they are going to quit and then somehow hooking up with a cigarette again and then quit again and so on, tells me that it is one difficult task. You are da' man to have abstained for two years.

Not to preach, but from my stand point as a dentist, smoking ruins an otherwise healthy mouth. And, there is much current information in the literature which shows a relationship between an unhealthy mouth (low grade chronic infection) and arterial deposits and heart problems. Probably more organs will be involved as research proceeds.

You quit for you. You quit so that you could ride that wonderful LT another day. Good for you!!!!!!!

jim

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
Good for you!

Congratulations!

I never smoked, probably because I grew up in a family where both parents smoked heavily. Dad quit many years ago, cold turkey. Mom never quit, and never tried to, as far as I know.

My brothers and I watched our mother's like get sucked out of her by her addiction to smoking. Ultimately, two bouts of lung cancer, separated by a surgery that only added a little to her life span, took her from us. By the time she was in a nursing home she was wasting away before us and lasted only eight weeks. That is no way to go. (and I don't need to hear the argument that she could have quit, or that this was under her control; it's been two years and it still hurts)

Whether you quit smoking for yourself, your family and friends, or both, you've done a good thing. Don't go back!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Congratulations: I don't smoke but never understood what a hold it could get on you until an employee told me he had stopped smoking a couple of years prior. I asked him if he still wanted one - he said "I could eat one". That got my attention.

So sorry to see so many young people smoking - but I guess you have to do something while you are getting a tatoo.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Good Job

I remember stuff from quitting 20 years ago. I remember vividly that every day I left for work, I only needed my keys. No longer did I have to check my pockets for a pack and a lighter. I didn't even need a plan of attack for when I run out of weeds later. Smoking didn't have a "bite" in me anymore. I was free at last.:)

I also remember that it took years before someone elses smoking bothered me. I always liked to stand near them smoking so I could at least get a little something.:p

Now I just puff on a cigar once and a while. Usually after our Wednesday night dinners.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I started my wait on Red Rover to get here from the west coast. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Congrats. Stay with it, you can do it.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
bushj1 said:
Did it for 50 years.
I ran out if cigs one week ago today.
Good on ya, Jon. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I pooh-poohed that ole saying about "y'ain't gonna quit if you don't wanna" --- then realized in 1982 that I'd tried quitting too damn many times and never carried it thru. Dang, I musta not wanna'd to.

So, at 10seconds past 10minutes past 10am on the 10th day of the 10th month in '82(adds up to 10, see), I bought a pack of Salems and never opened 'em. Wouldn't go back now for nuttin'!! Prior to that, I wuz a chain smoker of Pall Mall reds!! Usually needed only one match to get thru the morning and one in the afternoon! Gawd, I wuz stoopid!! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
You can quit if you are ready and in charge

Congrats Lenny,

Not sure what your defining moment was but mine was when I lost my younger brother to head and neck cancer (super heavy duty smoker) too bad I needed this as my personal bottom / moment.

So 3 years ago after almost 30 years of smoking I no longer have any desire and this is coming from a person that really liked this drug and what it did for me. Always smoked the lightest tar and nicotine ones but that was just an excuse I used to justify continuing the habit.

On the positive side the funds saved now funds my motorcycle madness activities. On the negative side up 20 lbs and working to get back down!!

Good luck in the future . . .

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Congrats!!!

Well done and congrats. I never smoked tobacco and glad I never got sucked in.

I to lost my Mother at the young age of 44 due to lung cancer. I feel you pain that was in 1988 She was younger than most on this board I think. Heck I am 44 soon to be 45 in July yeow that used to seem old.

Keep up the good work to live another day longer!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts