BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to ride the dragon at Deals Gap and the surrounding area two up on the 05 LT,any advice. Going in OCT. Thanks rbots.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ditto. In-laws taking kids to Gatlinburg for a week, and we'd like to do a couple/few days there too, with one of them checking out this 25 mph dragon thing. 1st week in August. Looking for input.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Rode the Dragon two-up in '03. Was fun but mentally tiring (but then, that's just me).

Nothing to offer beyond the obvious:
  1. stay alert at all times
  2. do not cross the center stripe and know that oncoming traffic will.
  3. do not exceed your abilities
  4. ride to impress your wife or lover by not showing off.
The LT is a joy to ride thru the "twisties". Keep your head and you will have a blast.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Adjust your preload
Ride within your limits
Have Fun

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've done the Dragon 2 up on the LT several times, twice in the rain...

The advice above is good. Stay within your limits and watch for idiots crossing the center line.

Also, keep an eye behind you. If you are holding someone up, pull over and let them around.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
One suggestion is to, if possible, ride during the week. Weekends can get pretty busy and with some squids playing weekend-racer, dangerous. It's a great ride, but the Cherohola is quieter and less traveled, so ride it if you can. My $ .02 (all that's left after buying gas!)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Rode it this June two up ,the dragon has gotten a lot of hype and became infamous for no good reason ,it is just a very nice twisty road ,there are a lot other roads in that area just as fun/twisty /beautiful sightseeing but with out the dumb a** rickey road racers.
Just as always ride within the limits of weather , equipment and skill .
Week days early morning were light traffic
take a camera and take your time .
We rode 2 days in the Smokeys having to pushstart ,starter interlock problem still had a great time
Bob G
99LT

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Ride your own ride and go during the week, not the weekend.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Way over done. There are SO many other roads in the area that are just as much fun, without all the crowds. Just have fun and ride your own ride, especially with your woman on the back.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Didn't realize you were from Ft. Myers. My wife and I are going to be there in early Oct. and then to rally in Virginia by way of TN. When are you going?

·
Registered
607 Posts
BMWWANDRR said:
... early Oct. and then to rally in Virginia by way of TN. When are you going?

What rally in Virginia?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Ride within your limits and you'll be fine. I'm not quite sure why people seem to fear this stretch of road, other than oncoming traffic :eek: I've ridden it many times and to me, it's way too slow and not that hard to ride. The Cherohala is AWESOME!!!! Much faster!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Deal's Gap is no longer fun during the riding season.
The HD cruiser crowd has totally overtaken the road.

Do the Gap once, buy your shirt and find better roads.

·
Registered
269 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts