BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 K1200LT....

When opening my trunk today I heard a crack when it got fully open. I pulled out the trunk tray and found that the plastic hole that the pin goes in is broken. This is the pin the strap goes to that holds the trunk open. It also looks like this plastic part is part of the trunk bottom itself, and to be replaced, means that the hold trunk bottom has to be replaced. Anyone have any experience with this? (I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow as the bike is under warranty still, but expect to be told they can't do anything.)

Also, while I was in there I found a wire going to the lock mechanism for the trunk. There is a lever there that is electrically operated and when slid, the trunk is locked. I do not have (to my knowledge) any way to operate this electrically. If I purchased a bike with remote locks, how would I know, if I did not have the remote? And if I do not have remote locking feature, how could I add it?

Thanks in advance,
Skip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
SkipI said:
2005 K1200LT....

When opening my trunk today I heard a crack when it got fully open. I pulled out the trunk tray and found that the plastic hole that the pin goes in is broken. This is the pin the strap goes to that holds the trunk open. It also looks like this plastic part is part of the trunk bottom itself, and to be replaced, means that the hold trunk bottom has to be replaced. Anyone have any experience with this? (I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow as the bike is under warranty still, but expect to be told they can't do anything.)
Yes, I had this happen on my '01, (way out of warranty). Since I didn't like the idea of buying the lower trunk piece, and since I suspected I would do it again, (I carry a little too much weight in a trunk bag at times), I did a ghetto mod: I drilled a hole all the way through the fiberglass. I made a metal strap that I attached to the inner case and drilled a hole in it as well. Then I inserted a 5 mm bolt all the way through and put a lock nut on the inside. I did, however, paint the bolt heald the same color as the bike :)

I can't help with the other question, I'm still living, (riding), in the dark ages, sans power centerstand, etc.

GB
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
I have just the opposite problem. My bike has central locking, but they installed the wrong top case, and so everything locks but the trunk! One of the local dealers, who has tried to BS me before, told me BMW would not warranty it and that he would make me a deal on a new case. I contacted another dealer (non-local) and they said if I got the bike there that they would take care of it for me.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,940 Posts
I have seen them replace the trunk bottom for the broken retainer under warranty. I just used a bit of J B Weld and fixed it myself (that was almost 3 years ago). I have the backup back rest now and use it, tilted up to support the trunk lid and I am just real careful when I open it. The actuator is a simple motor fed by 12 volts. Momentarily apply the juice in one direction and it will lock, reverse the connection and it will unlock. I don't think I have seen an 05 and up that did not have the alarm/central locking option. You have no FOBs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:
I have seen them replace the trunk bottom for the broken retainer under warranty. I just used a bit of J B Weld and fixed it myself (that was almost 3 years ago). I have the backup back rest now and use it, tilted up to support the trunk lid and I am just real careful when I open it. The actuator is a simple motor fed by 12 volts. Momentarily apply the juice in one direction and it will lock, reverse the connection and it will unlock. I don't think I have seen an 05 and up that did not have the alarm/central locking option. You have no FOBs?
Nope, the bike did not come with a FOB. Is there a way to tell if the alarm is installed?

Skip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,607 Posts
Skip,

Sorry about the "afterwards wisdom" but an easy preventive action against cracking the pin surroundings is to shorten the strap so that the lid will not open so far forward as it does.
I have seen this happen to others as well so I simply took my wife's sewing kit and made a second loop at the end of the strap and now the trunk lid opens just a liitle over 90 degrees. Enough to stay open but not enough to gain momentum to brake plastic arond the pin.

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
SkipI said:
Nope, the bike did not come with a FOB. Is there a way to tell if the alarm is installed?

Skip
Did you buy it new? I have not seen an '05 without central locking. Any dealer should be able to tell you what the bike came with originally if you gave them the VIN.

Dave
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
124 Posts
I got mine fixed for free

I had the same problem the lids retaining band broke the pin off on the bottom of the trunk when we opened it one day. When we were told it would normally cost $900 for a new trunk or he could fix it under warrantee we chose the latter. FREE repair while under BMW warrantee. We have been careful ever since not to allow the lid to drop open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I went to the dealer today and they are going to replace the trunk bottom under warranty. Also, they researched the VIN number and it does have central locking/security system installed. When I take it in for the trunk work, they are going to get me a FOB and set it up! :)
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,940 Posts
Skip,


Sounds like a win win situation, glad you have a good dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I think the FOBs are pretty expensive to buy. My 05 came with two so you might suggest they give you two as well.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top