BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 08 model with 22,000 miles. The bike has been very well maintained. The only two things that are not working are the ECS and the Navigator III. The GPS I am going to remove and replace with another Garmin GPS. I have read some of the previous post about getting power from the dash light to the GPS. What is everyone doing with the cables running to the Navigator? Wished there was some way to get power from them to power a regular GPS. The ECS makes one click when you push the button to activate it. The light flashes twice and that is all that happens. You hear no whining like the motor is working at all. Is it okay to put the bike on the center stand without the ECS working? I know I will have to have some help getting it on it. I bought this bike in February just a few days after breaking my foot. It took 10 weeks to get back on my feet and feel comfortable about riding. Been able to get about 1500 miles on it in the and have been very pleased. This bike handles like a dream in the mountains and is super smooth on the interstate. Saturday I was able to ride 150 miles in the mountains of TN, NC, and VA and only had one red light on the route I took. Looking forward to getting some time off work and taking a long ride on her.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
EPM of New Jersey can rebuild your shocks. Or sell you new standards. Yes no problem putting it up on the center stand. The voltage that comes from the OEM connector for the NAV unit is 12 vdc. You can use this if you have a dc to dc converter in your new GPS or its wiring, they use 5 volts generally. Although on some machines this converter can sometimes keep the 12 volt source (the nav source and all the outlets on the bike are one circuit) open and the computer in an alert status that drains the battery. Not all bikes do this though, must be some sort of threshold of current flow sensing. I'd just use a lamp circuit or install a fuse panel for your extra stuff. Fire the fuse panel via a relay and a key on power circuit, such as that very same nav power plug. This connector will plug into the nav connector and give you three wires PN 83 300 413 585. The wires are labeled, #1 is ground, #2 is a pulse for the GPS, #3 is 12 volts positive. If you do some searches on these subjects there is quite a bit of information. The NAV circuit also takes 60 seconds to shut down after the key goes off.
High Performance Motorcycle Suspension Sales and Service from EPM Performance Imports

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Well worth getting the ECS looked at, it may be something quite simple to fix. Having it is a real boon.

Highly recommend OHLINS shocks for this bike. The difference they make is outstanding.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I recently purchased a 08 model with 22,000 miles. The bike has been very well maintained. The only two things that are not working are the ECS and the Navigator III. The GPS I am going to remove and replace with another Garmin GPS. I have read some of the previous post about getting power from the dash light to the GPS. What is everyone doing with the cables running to the Navigator? Wished there was some way to get power from them to power a regular GPS. The ECS makes one click when you push the button to activate it. The light flashes twice and that is all that happens. You hear no whining like the motor is working at all. Is it okay to put the bike on the center stand without the ECS working? I know I will have to have some help getting it on it. I bought this bike in February just a few days after breaking my foot. It took 10 weeks to get back on my feet and feel comfortable about riding. Been able to get about 1500 miles on it in the and have been very pleased. This bike handles like a dream in the mountains and is super smooth on the interstate. Saturday I was able to ride 150 miles in the mountains of TN, NC, and VA and only had one red light on the route I took. Looking forward to getting some time off work and taking a long ride on her.

I'm sure you've already checked these, but is the bike in neutral with the side stand up?In gear or side stand down will pretty much do what you've described...

Mark

Reactions: simoncharles

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
How much did you spend on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly can´t remember, it must have been around 10 years ago, nearly 2 years after getting the bike.

I know they didn´t cost me as much as ICT Rider suggests, probably around 7% of what the bike cost me new !

You can get them on Ebay for around $ 1.500

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes I did try exactly the way you are suppose to use the ECS. Think I will put it on the lift so I can see under it to check if anything is loose. Thanks for the suggestion Mark.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yes I did try exactly the way you are suppose to use the ECS. Think I will put it on the lift so I can see under it to check if anything is loose. Thanks for the suggestion Mark.
May I suggest that you liberally spray WD40 all over and around it before getting your hands dirty.

It will loosen up any nuts and bolts that may need taking apart, get rid of any excess grease and may even solve the problem.

Stranger things have occurred before.

By the way, what state is the battery in ?.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Search the site for EHCS (electric hydraulic center stand) for more info and trouble shooting / repair.

Most probable problem from what you describe is that the motor has gone out. A honda starter motor is the most used replacement. Other than that, the unit may be low on hydraulic oil, but you would hear the motor running if that were the case.

You can get her on the CS by rolling the rear tire on a 2x4 (I made a ramp with a small piece of plywood) and with a helper push down on the CS. I placed another 2x4 across the CS to push against.

It is easy to get the EHCS unit off the bike, and it doesn't have to be on the CS to do so.

Reactions: cws

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
John Zeiler (jzeiler on this forum) is the person here who repairs the electric hydraulic center stand for many of the riders on this forum. PM him & he will contact you.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I installed a garmin zumo 550 on a ram mount off the clutch reservior. I got power from the dash map light via double blade spade connectors i got at radio shack. The allowed me to jump the hot wire off the map light.

·
Registered
187 Posts
May I suggest that you liberally spray WD40 all over and around it before getting your hands dirty.

It will loosen up any nuts and bolts that may need taking apart, get rid of any excess grease and may even solve the problem.

Stranger things have occurred before.

By the way, what state is the battery in ?.
I have to assume it's in Tennessee, with the rest of the bike...:D ;)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
+1 on John Z. He repaired mine when it wouldn't lift the bike and I attempted to replace the seals and fluid. Turned out that the shaft was scarred, it leaked and needed replacement, which he did for me.

The motor swap is very easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed a garmin zumo 550 on a ram mount off the clutch reservior. I got power from the dash map light via double blade spade connectors i got at radio shack. The allowed me to jump the hot wire off the map light.

Do you have pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
There is a mount for a Garmin GPS motorcycle cradle where the dash light used to be on my '05 LT. The double-ball-joint swivel is not used but could be. When I replaced the windshield actuator I found a bracket beneath the front cowl that supported the GPS bracket. I don't think it is stock and I have no idea where to obtain it.

I suggest investing in the BMW tank mount for the Motorrad (Garmin branded for BMW) Navigator GPS. I had that on the '07 LT I had and it was very satisfactory. Using the motorcycle cradle for the Garmin/Navigator units provides the right power out with 12V in. Wiring becomes a matter of Tupperware tussles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts