BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Two Drops In One Day....

2K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  Steve_R 
#1 ·
The day started out great... My birthday was yesterday and I decided the first thing I wanted to do is take a ride on the LT. The sun was shinning and traffic was good. I rode to the Rock Store and it was CLOSED :( I then decided to continue the ride to PCH. While doing a slow turn in gravel, I dropped the bike on the left side. I then proceeded to involk the pick up procedure on youtube, you know where the guy backs up to the bike and does a squat lift? Well the bike was too heavy and that wasn't happening. I found a guy to help me lift it and I rode on.

While getting over my first scratches on my new 09 lt, I decided to travel to my brother's house in Northridge. While backing out of his driveway my feet left the groud when the back tire hit the street and once again, the bike tipped to the right side and laied down. My brother then helped me pick it up and now I have identical scatches one on each side. :mad:

What are you going to do....

By the way, does anyone know where I can get two side bag plastic trim? :histerica

#3 ·
#4 ·
I would wait a while before replacing them. I hate to say it but I think I had about 6 tip overs my first year. But I did learn to pick it up by myself.

I hope these will be the last times you tip it but when the big girl wants to lay down there is no stopping it. My tip overs were much like yours. Almost always at a stand still and doing something that I shouldn't have been doing. You will learn as you go. Good luck and Happy belated Birthday.

#5 ·
" you know where the guy backs up to the bike and does a squat lift "

No, it's walk it up with your legs. You can't lift 800+ lbs unless you are Hercules.

#6 ·
Get the BMR products trim molding to cover the scratches on the bags. WORKS GREAT! $30. Put it on when at least 80 degrees, or the corners may come off.

My bike was dropped many times by previous owners.

You will be pleased with the molding, covers just about any scratched and helps protect it should it go down again.

#7 ·
+1 on the BMR rubber trim strips! I've had them for over six years on my '00 LT and they are as good as new. Plus they have served their purpose several times since being installed over the scratched/dented plastic chrome!

Here is a link to the product which one of our own sells:
http://motogear4you.com/catalog/pro...id=21&osCsid=25cd4b7932d6bf7bd1a784e24ed7fd10

No connection to Raffy's site other than being a very satisfied repeat customer over the years!

John

#9 ·
Sorry to hear about your drops...
I ordered the trim the day after I dropped the bike. 350 miles and I drop it in a parking lot in front of a Starbucks. I was pushing it off the center stand, pushed a little too hard, lost grip of front brake and I was on a slight sideways incline. I made the mistake of trying to keep it from going over and pulled my wrist. I was able to pick it up myself though (using the back-up technique).
10 years ago I dropped my crotch rocket (side stand was not all the way down). Broke the mirror, nasty scratches, bent the shifter and some other parts. I'm impressed how minimal the scratches are on my LT after her fall.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Don't feel bad. On my LT's inaugural ride, I tipped her over THREE times! Talk about feeling like a moron....

#14 ·
I feel for you on the two drops. I wish I had seen the pickup videos before I dropped my Suzuki LC1500. Maybe I wouldn't have this extra belly button now. I pulled into a Quick Stop the other day on a ride with my wife. I stopped on the edge of the drive and the left side sloped off to the street and I didn't realize it. I leaned a little too far left and it was all I could do to correct it. That's a lot of weight riding 2 up. That's as close as I've come to dropping it and I had plenty of witnesses for that one. It may happen one day and I'm dreading it............. :)

#15 · (Edited)
ArthurKnowles said:
The cheapisr place is Chicago BMW, but it takes months for the parts to arrive. Any BMW dealer can get them for you. I think they cost about $80 each. After you buy new ones, get these from Motogear4u.com ...

http://motogear4you.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=21

These will prevent future scratches.
I purchased the new trim in the 1st month of ownership( two drops,each side both in my driveway 0 mph), and have yet to install them. My thought(after I got them) was that I might drop her again and might as well save in case I do it again....saving them for a potential sale of bike.
In the next two years 2 drops one after a long day in W.V. at the hotel office, one in Pa. at a oddball stop sign w/odd slopes and a car that seemed to want to hit me.
Interestingly enough the last two while meeting/riding w/fellow board members :D :D :D :D

Mike

#16 ·
I'll see your two drops, and raise you....

The beauty of dropping the bike with an appreciative audience is that there is help readily available to pick it up again. :)

captaine said:
The day started out great... My birthday was yesterday and I decided the first thing I wanted to do is take a ride on the LT. The sun was shinning and traffic was good. I rode to the Rock Store and it was CLOSED :( I then decided to continue the ride to PCH. While doing a slow turn in gravel, I dropped the bike on the left side. I then proceeded to involk the pick up procedure on youtube, you know where the guy backs up to the bike and does a squat lift? Well the bike was too heavy and that wasn't happening. I found a guy to help me lift it and I rode on.

While getting over my first scratches on my new 09 lt, I decided to travel to my brother's house in Northridge. While backing out of his driveway my feet left the groud when the back tire hit the street and once again, the bike tipped to the right side and laied down. My brother then helped me pick it up and now I have identical scatches one on each side. :mad:

What are you going to do....

By the way, does anyone know where I can get two side bag plastic trim? :histerica

#17 ·
It happen to me too...

She wanted to take a nap after two day trip to Houghton, after arriving at the motel the SO went in to register, I decided to get off and looking down to check the stand position, [fullface and by focals]she just layed over. must have been the it goes where you look thing.

Now I have two $$ problem, The shift lever bent into the plastic preventing it from moving freely. I have to play with it with my toe to change gears.

Question: After removing the lever it doesn't look that bad. Can I bend it out a little?
And the left footpeg plate chrome seems to have hair line cracks on the out side around the mount location for the shift lever.

Could that plate bend enough to effect lever alignment?

I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

#19 ·
Laffin I guess my girl has the parking lot narcolepsy as well..

I did not have a big girl to help me pick it up...
I had two 75 Year old guys that I DID avoid hitting but she went down..
OWW
It was just like slow motion- the arnie Johnson (SP?) from laff IN riding the trike and bumping the curb... OVER and out..

SO is there like a Club I belong to now?

*raises hand* I went I AM NOT GOING TO GO OVER- but I sure as heck did...

2 miles, first gas station...

*Looks online for training wheels*

#20 ·
haughty said:
Laffin I guess my girl has the parking lot narcolepsy as well..

I did not have a big girl to help me pick it up...
I had two 75 Year old guys that I DID avoid hitting but she went down..
OWW
It was just like slow motion- the arnie Johnson (SP?) from laff IN riding the trike and bumping the curb... OVER and out..

SO is there like a Club I belong to now?

*raises hand* I went I AM NOT GOING TO GO OVER- but I sure as heck did...

2 miles, first gas station...

*Looks online for training wheels*
Ask, and ye shall receive. Clickety Clickety

OBTW, Welcome to Droppers Anonymous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.