BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I understand that the plastic QD's leak, mine are metal, O rings leak, sure. Ok lets do it by the numbers. First it was a cold day Sunday before last for South FL (high 60's low 70's), I know boohoo. I went down the road and smelled gas ok I was by a land fill so did not think a lot of it until I stopped at a light and the man in the car next to me said is that gas leaking from your bike; it was. I made a U turn at the light and headed for the barn. Got into the garage put the bike on the stand no leak tank was just above half I had lost a slight amount. My right pant leg and my boot wreaked of gas,

Now it gets stranger as one mechanic told me if he could not find a leak directly I could be into massive labor charges. Yesterday I drained what I could from the tank turned the bike over and saw a small amount of leakage coming off the area of the oil filter. Therefore, I started to disassemble to get to the tank and remove it. My neighbor told me to assemble the bike enough to make it ridable, enough to check it out. I added one more gallon of gas which brought it to approximately 3/4 of a tank. I took the bike out for a several mile run and lo and behold it did not leak! Am I crazy? Any ideas out there?????

Thanks for your help,
Helmutdryer

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Are there any plastic couplings in the area that may be cracked? Other than that, I would say that it is one of the o-rings. I had one of those hard to find gas leaks on my LT, it ended up to be a cracked coupling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts