BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I have Manflu. That's my excuse for cocking up a straightforward job. . . .

2000 K1200LT

I fitted my Garmin 2610 and putting the stingray back, I couldn't get the third multiplug to engage. This is the one nearest the centre of the bike. Bright idea was to use a pair of long nose pliers to prevent the housing moving back. When pressed gently into the plastic side of the captive housing, there was a bang from somewhere, but no flash noticed. Quick test of the electrics showed no apparent problem. Didn't check turn lamps though. I completed the installation and found I had no front signal although the rear and panel is fine. Bulb and connections checked OK. It seems that front signal is not independantly fused (or is it?) Is there a wiring diagram that will help fault find this problem, or is it back to the dealers for someone intelligent to look at it? :bmw:

Andy Luckman in England

·
Registered
562 Posts
Andy, there are only 2 wiring diagrams available that I know of. One you can get from your BMW dealer. It is just the wiring diagram and it isn't cheap. The second is the recently released K1200 Clymer Shop Manual which includes the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fredthead said:
The second is the recently released K1200 Clymer Shop Manual which includes the wiring diagram.
Thanks for that. I seem to have difficulty in getting things that are American in origin. I had been trying to get a BMR shelf and gave up in the end so ending up with the genuine BMW GPS bracket. Is it possible to get the Clymer manual sent to the UK?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Clymer

Andy

I got my Clymer from Motorworks in Yorkshire

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
Third Diagram Set

fredthead said:
Andy, there are only 2 wiring diagrams available that I know of. One you can get from your BMW dealer. It is just the wiring diagram and it isn't cheap. The second is the recently released K1200 Clymer Shop Manual which includes the wiring diagram.
There is a $60 CD (at least from Chicago BMW) from BMW that has all models wiring diagrams from 1993 to 2006. PN 06 73 7 703 031 SLP2 Electrical Circuit Diagrams. BTW F3 is a common fuse with the horn and indicators (turn signals) on a 2000 LT.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Clymer

My Clymer manual has 16 pages of wiring schematics on the 99-2000 models, here are two of them, hope this is of some help for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hi Hans,

I've not ordered the Clymer, my sister is bring me one in May as a birthday pressie, how different are the wiring diagrams from the one you posted and 2001, I have a 2001 but would be intesested to know how much changed between years.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SilverBuffalo said:
here are two of them, hope this is of some help for you.
That was very useful thankyou. It concentrated my mind and I have to report something HIGHLY EMBARRASSING. :eek:

'Twas the bulb all along. It still looks perfect, but before I took the plastics off again, I had the foresight to swap left to right. Of course my spares set is at the works, but at least it saves me a dismantling job. I can't explain the bang, but the problem is solved for now.

I still have to remove the radio again at some point though. That has a dry joint or poor connection to the rear amplifier section. Lots of frying noises intermittent and variable by tapping the top of the stingray. I have cleaned the plug contacts and greased them, but I feel it is a pre-amp to main amp joint. I intend to do nothing about it for a few days though, as everything I am touching at the moment turns to worms.

I really appreciate the help and assistance I have received from you all. There has been a small contribution made to the site expenses which I hope to increase.

Thanks again

Andy

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Ajlelectronics said:
I have to report something HIGHLY EMBARRASSING. :eek:
'Twas the bulb all along.
At this point we all fall on the floor laughing! I'm sure someone will post suitable icons to make you squirm just a little more than you are right now, Ha ha ha.....

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
Andy,

Don't fret over it we have all been there before. The "pop" was most likely the audio system. I get a noise like that some times as I hook up the forward connectors on the stingray. The pop and a momentary radio screen flash. Also the rear and front amps are all integrated in the radio itself. There is another connector for the rear speakers under the pillion seat. It may need cleaning and application of dielectric grease.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Ajlelectronics said:
... I have to report something HIGHLY EMBARRASSING. :eek:
No worries Andy! I doubt many would have thought to check the bulb either...

We've all done embarrassing stuff with/to the bike (I suspect little of it makes it to the forum though ;))...

Regardless, congrats on successfully working through the problem .....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts