BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a list of descriptions of the screws holding the Tupperware? I have had mine off several times and am missing a few now.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
See the Technical drop link in the upper right. Click to Hall of Wisdom. ALL your questions will be answered

Attachments

Reactions: gtkoppmann

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would like to order all new screws for all of the tupperware so I can replace them with the proper sized screw. I wonder if anyone has done that before...

Is there a list of descriptions of the screws holding the Tupperware? I have had mine off several times and am missing a few now.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Only trouble with that kit is the screws don't have the pointy end the stock ones have. They are a lot harder to start in the female thread.

·
Registered
680 Posts
See the Technical drop link in the upper right. Click to Hall of Wisdom. ALL your questions will be answered
I'm pretty sure I got a few of these in the wrong places...although I did my best to remember where the longer ones came from as I removed them.

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
To grind a taper on the end of a regular screw, drill the body diameter thru a small block of metal, hold the screw from rotation with a driver, and approach a grinding wheel holding the metal block, rotating the driver. Grind until the necessary taper is reached and then use a wire wheel to deburr the end of the screw.

Not a big deal.

·
Registered
392 Posts
On my F800GT, it was missing a few when I bought it and I found some stainless steel screws at my local hardware store that worked pretty well and the price was a heck of a lot cheaper than BMW OEM and I didn't have to order them or deal with the dealer.

They were philips head and they did not have the pointed end and the head was bigger than OEM but they did work and no one could see them so I was OK with it. I bought some nylon washers but they were not sized to match the screw so they were a little sloppy but again they worked OK.

I think if I lost one now I would go the same route as long as I couldn't see the screw but for screws that will be seen, I would probably go with OEM.

I guess it depends on how anal we will be with our bike's parts and appearances (OEM, aftermarket, etc..) - we have to draw the line somewhere don't we?:nerd:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts