BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone point me to pics or videos of the procedure to remove the tupperware. I can wing it I'm sure but if there are shortcuts or problems I may encounter, I'd like to know.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Pull up similar threads below for everything you will need.

Take a piece of cardboard and draw/sketch each piece that you remove and insert the screws that you take out. Helps the first few times that you do it.

Keep the screws that are left over for later. I think that the factory hides screws around the bike for fun to see where we will put them.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Not aware of any videos, but if you start at the bottom and work up, you'll be good. You could also start with the tip-over wing covers too (4 pieces). If you start there, you'll expose a bunch of screws that hold the top of the silver lower pieces, and bottoms of the big side panels.But if you start at the bottom, take off the front piece, 6 (I think) screws in front, and 4 allens underneath, then the two silver bottoms, and go on up. Take your time, there's a couple'a hidden screws, like under the front turn signals. Just don't force anything, and you'll be fine.
One thing to keep in mind is that the large side pieces, about where the oddments box is, just slip on - upward to remove, downward to install. And you'll need to remove the side wings - three screws if you look up.
HTH.
Frank

·
Registered
656 Posts
What I have found that works well when you are first starting out is to use blue painters tape just tape the screws into the Tupperware it also has the benefit of reminding you of the hidden screw locations.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Dick said:
Found it - here ya go, I hope. Good luck. Have fun!!
I notice how you find the pertinent thread so quickly.
Do you have some unique filing system or were you in bookkeeping. I like that turn signal fackle in the tip over wings that could be addressed while you undress the tupperware. Taking all these pieces off the big girl reminds me of back when women wore clothes . . . girdle, corset, petticoat, slip, bloomers and garters only thing, you did not have to label them as they came off. :histerica :histerica
ride safe :bmw:

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
What has saved me a lot of time, in the future, is to pull a screw and mark the spot with the point of a permanent marker. They are mostly hidden anyway. There are 3 different lengths. So the long gets 1 ' . ', middle size ' .. ' and the shorts get ' ... '. I throw them all in a can, one for each side and go to it.
I also put the torque spec on many unexposed bolts so I do not have to keep looking up the numbers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just did my first tupperware removal since buying an 07 earlier this month. Added the PIAA drive lights under the cowl. I wanted to route the cable and wires neatly and that's the most efficient way of accomplishing this. Not to bad, but you need some patience with process. Thanks to the tips and the pictorial that's posted on the forum as they were invaluable.
The lights work like a champ! I wired the switch to my lowbeams so that I can chose to have them on either during the day or night.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You can mark the locations with a marker, tape the screws to the tupperware, punch holes in a board, etc. OR you can use my method. I have a 12 compartment cupcake tin. I throw the short screws in one spot, the medium and long screws in a separate spot each, then I separate the hex head screws by length and and diameter and put them in separate cups. When I put it back together I use short screws wherever I can and then finish up with the medium and long screws.

Heresy I know but nothing has fallen off yet and it sure is a lot easier!

Loren

·
Registered
426 Posts
Loren you must not have pets that run around your garage and knock things over when you are working on the bike. I can just see a muffin pan in my garage getting kicked and a thousand screws going everywhere.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
LOL! Nope! I keep the muffin tin on the lift well out of Bulletheads reach! Tonight he left a little surprise on the floor of my wifes office. You guessed it! He got into her yarn bag and tore up some nice merino wool yarn.

Loren

Sit said:
Loren you must not have pets that run around your garage and knock things over when you are working on the bike. I can just see a muffin pan in my garage getting kicked and a thousand screws going everywhere.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I removed mine for the first time this weekend and I used Loren's idea of using the muffin tray. Here is one more important hint: ask the wife first before using her cooking trays!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can someone point me to pics or videos of the procedure to remove the tupperware. I can wing it I'm sure but if there are shortcuts or problems I may encounter, I'd like to know.
Thanks
Does anyone know where I can find a definitive list of where the different screw lengths should be used when mounting tupperware?

TIA

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find a definitive list of where the different screw lengths should be used when mounting tupperware?

TIA
I personally don't use a list. There are some long holes that need to have the longer screws but I usually start with the short ones and if it looks too short or doesn't go deep enough to bite, I move to a longer screw. Seems to work out well for me with all holes filled and tight.

If you need a definitive list, you can check the MAX BMW fiche and see what they specify for each location on the covers. OR you could simply read the 5 year old thread you are posting on to find this template.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/57746-k1200-plastic-removal.html#post498818

More information

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?faq=k1200lt_faq_general#faq_k1200lt_faq_tupperware

Hope these help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I personally don't use a list. There are some long holes that need to have the longer screws but I usually start with the short ones and if it looks too short or doesn't go deep enough to bite, I move to a longer screw. Seems to work out well for me with all holes filled and tight.

If you need a definitive list, you can check the MAX BMW fiche and see what they specify for each location on the covers. OR you could simply read the 5 year old thread you are posting on to find this template.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/57746-k1200-plastic-removal.html#post498818

More information

BMW Luxury Touring Community - Site FAQ: All the Rest

Hope these help.
Thanks, I didn't look at the template. It lists where long screws are needed.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Thanks, I didn't look at the template. It lists where long screws are needed.
Some people embed their links in a word like "here" in the middle of a sentence and in scanning threads, it is easy to miss a small blue word. I like to make my links

"obvious"

so there is less chance of missing them :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts