BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how are u guys doing music? I like the stereo options on the LT and RT but for the GT I Am assuming it is helmet speakers or earbuds, I want to use my iPhone that is about it so do I need to go the autocom route? Would love a wireless solution.

JJ

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
+1 on the Autocom with the Zumo/XM combo. I ran that on my 08 GT and put it on my 09 GT as well. Miles and miles of tune filled smiles!

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
If all you want is an iPhone music connection, then a simple set of ear speakers will do fine. The Autocom/XM/GPS stuff can be quite useful, but it's far and above what you say you're looking for.

There is some bluetooth wireless helmet stuff out there, but the limitations tend to be with battery life and overall volume. Still, it might work for what you want.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
meese said:
If all you want is an iPhone music connection, then a simple set of ear speakers will do fine. The Autocom/XM/GPS stuff can be quite useful, but it's far and above what you say you're looking for.
+1 on that. I use some Shure earbuds my sons bought me with my Creative Zen. Great sound & no wind noise.

·
Cat Herder
1,442 Posts
If you want to go simple, have a set of custom ear plugs made with the audio speakers built in... If you live in the southwest or go to rallies to to find Arizona Al.... He makes the best earplugs around. I will post his phone number if I can find it...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use the Zumo 550 with earbuds & then put a piece of paper tape over them before I put on my helmet. Works great but you have to watch for the V-1 light since you can't hear it.

I ride alone and don't need the intercom feature nor do I want to get calls on my phone.

I am thinking of trying a screamer for the V-1, but that is another project.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
mdm_rides said:
I use the Zumo 550 with earbuds & then put a piece of paper tape over them before I put on my helmet. Works great but you have to watch for the V-1 light since you can't hear it.

I ride alone and don't need the intercom feature nor do I want to get calls on my phone.

I am thinking of trying a screamer for the V-1, but that is another project.
I use the Screamer because I can't stand to have the alerts going off in my ears. It has a three position switch, Mute, Low and High. I love it and it absolutely works. Can be great fun, too. Imagine going by a LEO who has pulled over a motorist and still has his radar on.... and the thang screaming.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
75 Posts
Better Sound Quality

Like many, I too am using my Garmin 550 to play MP3s through a pair of in-ear monitors.

What annoys me about this setup is the audio quality inherent in MP3 files. Compared to the original .wav files the overall sound is less than stellar. Other than completely abandoning the MP3 feature on the Zumo and using a different player, what other suggestions are open to me? Not many I fear.

Honestly, I'm not an audio snob but the custom in-ear monitors will spoil you. Even with a capable amplifier (http://www.tesseractcorp.com/) to meld together my Zumo and Valentine 1, listening to MP3s is a huge disappointment.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
59 Posts
grifscoots said:
I use the Screamer because I can't stand to have the alerts going off in my ears. It has a three position switch, Mute, Low and High. I love it and it absolutely works. Can be great fun, too. Imagine going by a LEO who has pulled over a motorist and still has his radar on.... and the thang screaming.
Great visual. Putting by looking innocent all the while.

Where did you mount the audio? I was thinking under the plastic in front of the forks facing back towards me.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Re: Better Sound Quality

dpancerz said:
Like many, I too am using my Garmin 550 to play MP3s through a pair of in-ear monitors.

What annoys me about this setup is the audio quality inherent in MP3 files. Compared to the original .wav files the overall sound is less than stellar. Other than completely abandoning the MP3 feature on the Zumo and using a different player, what other suggestions are open to me? Not many I fear.

Honestly, I'm not an audio snob but the custom in-ear monitors will spoil you. Even with a capable amplifier (http://www.tesseractcorp.com/) to meld together my Zumo and Valentine 1, listening to MP3s is a huge disappointment.

Thanks,

David
I use flac (lossless) or wav files & convert them to 256 on my Creative Zen. The sound is very good. You can go on up to 320 which is pretty close to lossless. Also saw a website awhile back that had a program that would allow flac files to be played on an ipod.
Wouldn't work with creative.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just got my 06 GT this week and have an autocom unit I had purchased for my LT but did not install. Where is the recommended location to place the autocom on a GT?

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
David,

I think (and that is dangerous) that Grif has his in his tank bag. At least there is a hell of a lot of wires running in there and it hasn't blown anything up...yet.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'm using the Zumo 550 with XM + Starcom. Starcom is mounted under passenger seat. Cellphone is bluetoothed to the Zumo, Zumo connected to Starcom, Kenwood Freetalk FRS connected to Starcom. Push-to-talk switch connected to Starcom. Everything works great! Took awhile to get enough volume through com system but initially I think I had a defective headset. My current headset has helmet speaks and a cable for earphones. I'm currently using the speakers, but have the option to go to earbuds if my hearing get worse.

·
Registered
820 Posts
After trying other brands I concluded that the CAMOS bluetooth receiver with in-helmet speakers (and mike for phone and intercom) had the best clarity. With the new iPhone 3GS you no longer even need the dongle that was required with earlier iPhone systems. With the new 3Gs iPhone I can listen to the couple thousand songs I have loaded, listen to Pandora Radio, listen to Public Radio, etc all from the iPhone. I'm also considering downloading the TomTom application and eliminating the seperate GPS. I'd love to see the TomTom app in operation first though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have gone through the LT, RT and now the GT with having tunes as I ride. Needless to say, the hardwired solution is probably still the best way if you can stand the hooked up thing. The RT was a disaster with the shop having issues trying to get first a J&M system, then an autocomm to work, no dice. I road to Illinois and back with a Vemar helmet (which has latest bluetooth) and my gps and my ipod touch (with bluetooth dongle). Noise definitely an issue and volume and quality was seriously subpar.

I was just doing a quick hunt around the web, there is a really nice waterproof case for the Iphone 3g Iphone waterproof case.. Add the Tom Tom App, a ram mount, and voila, if you have a good bluetooth headset, all is taken care of.

Tony

·
Registered
820 Posts
Makzimia said:
Add the Tom Tom App, a ram mount, and voila, if you have a good bluetooth headset, all is taken care of.

Tony
Did you download the Tomtom app? If so, how is it working?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Moot said:
Did you download the Tomtom app? If so, how is it working?
No Moot sorry, just did a quick read up on it, seems similar in functionality to the normal device, what I know of it. The only downside to it, is, if the iphone works like normal. Currently not sure you would be able to listen to music while Tom Tom is in the foreground giving you directions :).

Tony

·
Registered
820 Posts
Makzimia said:
No Moot sorry, just did a quick read up on it, seems similar in functionality to the normal device, what I know of it. The only downside to it, is, if the iphone works like normal. Currently not sure you would be able to listen to music while Tom Tom is in the foreground giving you directions :).

Tony
Inability to run The TomTom app while listening to music would be a total non-starter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts