BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the tsb that deals with the stiff throttle action? I believe the number is 32 001 03 (003). This doesn't seem like to complicated a job to do but I would like to see the tsb if it is available.
Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did the cable replacement this spring. Night and day is all I can say. Very easy to do the job yourself. I did have a bit of a struggle getting one of the cable end attached, sorry I don't remember which one. Walked away eat a snack and bingo dropped right into place. Good luck and you will be very happy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many Thanks!!

Roy
Mine is a 2003 it has the plastic guide at the grip end and the old style cables. It is not real bad but it is difficult to operate the throttle at low speeds smoothly. My previous LT was a 99 and it had the conversion done on it when I got it, the throttle was still stiff but it would move smoothly.

Thanks for the help guy's!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey, James. You probably already know this, but just in case . . . The TSB to which Bigbear provided a link came out in 2003, and references the first of two cable upgrades. The '03 upgraded cables used a flat wire for the sheath and a thicker Teflon coating. They were a straight retrofit into the plastic housing at the throttle. In '05 (I think it was) BMW came out with another upgrade, which went on all '05+ bikes. I don't know how they changed the cables themselves, but the '05+ cables had new routing at the handlebars to decrease a 90 degree bend and eliminate the 90 degree metal tube that guided the cable, and a new fitting at the throttle. At least one person who wanted to upgrade his pre-'03 cables requested the "upgraded cables" from his parts department, and got the '03 upgrade. If you want the '05+ cables, make sure that you specify the '05 and later version, and get the retrofit kit with the new plastic fitting for the throttle. The '05+ bikes have a different lower right handlebar cover than previous years so that the cables come out from beneath the cover several inches away from the throttle grip, diminishing the radius of the curve of the cable as it approaches the fitting. Most people who have retrofit the '05 cables to a pre-'05 bike have cut a slot or hole in their pre-'05 lower handlebar cover to achieve the same effect. The TSB does not mention any of this because it only references the earlier cable upgrade. However, I found that it was useful reading for general purposes in retrofitting the '05+ cables. There is a ton of info on the site and at least one detailed post about installing and adjusting the '05+ retrofit. It can be a PITA to do, but almost everyone has found that it is well worth the time and effort. Good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cables

Yes I did know I needed the cables used on the 05 and up and ordered the parts by part number, they arrived yesterday and I will put them in the bike tomorrow.
Thanks for the information though!!!
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts