BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a used Bunkhouse and am pulling my hair out trying to get the lights working. I have a Dauntless hitch on the LT with their Hoppy isolator. I vaguely remember something about NOT using the chassis as ground, and the trailer is wired as chassis ground. Is that a problem?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Joe, I think the chassis ground issue you are referring to is on the LT side. BMW does not use the chassis on the LT as ground (earth for our friends on the other side of the pond). You will need to run the ground connection back to either a ground buss or to the negative terminal of the battery.

Just to help a brother out feel free to ship that trailer out here and I'll sort it out for you. Might take a year or two for me to work it in but I'd do my best!!!
Loren

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Toss out the Hoppy isolator & run a fifth wire and add a couple of brake lights to your trailer and you're done.
See post 10 here and look at the word attachment:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21731

my quote "Unless you mount separate brake lights you will need a diode type adapter to go from 5 wires to 4. I simply installed 2 parallel LED brake lights on top of the tail lights and connected to the RED wire, much better visual braking effect.

I also ran and suggest the BOSH isolation relay kit to prevent any possible short to the delicate electronics. This powers the trailer from the battery through the relay contacts, the LT's brake/tail lights only send the control signal to the appropriate relay's coil.
No more than a 10 amp fuse is needed."

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wa1200lt said:
Joe, I think the chassis ground issue you are referring to is on the LT side. BMW does not use the chassis on the LT as ground (earth for our friends on the other side of the pond). You will need to run the ground connection back to either a ground buss or to the negative terminal of the battery.

Just to help a brother out feel free to ship that trailer out here and I'll sort it out for you. Might take a year or two for me to work it in but I'd do my best!!!
Loren
Wow, and you don't even know me, what a generous offer.

I don't really have the time to take it to you, would you meet me half way? :)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Listen to what Joe told you about wiring in tail lights,
Dauntless makes a good isolator relay but it's not a Hoppy,
Hoppy is a converter that you can get at Wallmart, toss it.

I used to have a Bunkhouse camper and a Dauntless hitch combination,
You can really feel the fore/aft "slop" in the Dauntless hitch with a heavy trailer like the Bunkhouse,

at first I was thrilled with the Bunkhouse, it's a great camper, lots of storage room etc.

I sold mine after a year, wife doesn't like camping very much
and I found out I really hated pulling a trailer that heavy,

it was fine on the interstate but anything twisty I could feel it trying to push my rear "out of the corners"
for that same reason it scared the hell out of me in the rain.

I moved on to a Bushtec trailer after that and now I'm on my third one and lovin it.

I wish you well with your Bunkhouse, and I'm not trying to discourage you,
just sharing my experiences and opinions.

Check out the Trailer towing forum for a lot of good info.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SmokinJoe said:
Toss out the Hoppy isolator & run a fifth wire and add a couple of brake lights to your trailer and you're done.
See post 10 here and look at the word attachment:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21731

my quote "Unless you mount separate brake lights you will need a diode type adapter to go from 5 wires to 4. I simply installed 2 parallel LED brake lights on top of the tail lights and connected to the RED wire, much better visual braking effect.

I also ran and suggest the BOSH isolation relay kit to prevent any possible short to the delicate electronics. This powers the trailer from the battery through the relay contacts, the LT's brake/tail lights only send the control signal to the appropriate relay's coil.
No more than a 10 amp fuse is needed."
Hey Joe

Thanks for that, the trailer is already 5 wire so that is not the issue. I've gone through everything and decided it is the connection between the bike and trailer. Perhaps the male and female came from two different manufacturers and they don't make contact on some of the conductors, or, the plug on the trailer is bad. My old cargo trailer still works fine so I guess I'll replace the plug on the Bunkhouse and hopefully be good!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Just trying to do my part to help out.:D I am looking forward to hearing about how the bunkhouse works out for you. I think they are just an amazing idea for increasing the enjoyment of a bike. I am envious!

I have a Hannigan sidecar with acceptable size camping gear including a folding 2 burner propane stove, smaller ice chest, etc. but have not had occasion to use it beyond spending one night inside the sidecar in mid 30* F temperature, high wind and strong rain conditions. Slept like a baby, nice and toasty. It was freakin' cold when I lifted the canopy at 5:45 in the morning to go slay a batch of ferocious razor clams though.

Have fun, take pics, and post a ride report.

Loren

joevano said:
Wow, and you don't even know me, what a generous offer.

I don't really have the time to take it to you, would you meet me half way? :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts