BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to work today with a couple of stops on my way, all was well. Got in the parking lot and the trunk won't open! Latch is still in one piece, just flops in and out of the open position. I really don't want to use a pry bar but I'm running out of options. Anyone have an idea or seen this before?

Sam

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,926 Posts
Yup.

There are circlips on the pivot pins in the interior mechanism. Once those come off there is no way to open it with the handle. Now if it is only one side that has come loose sometimes just riding around will cause it to settle and you will get it open, sokeep trying and ride a bit and try again. An other way is to drill a hole (I'll try to describe and take some pictures tonight) in the plate you see looking up into the latch where the links go through. Then you can run some bailing wire up there and snag the mechanism to pull the hooks open.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. So it did open,but the hooks wont fall into the full open position. The latch feels like its catching but the hooks only move a small amount.

Sam

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Pull the trunk liner out and study the mechanism a little. I think you'll see the weak points. Also be very careful with the miniature clips. You can get replacements at the hardware store if you need them in the Servalite boxes.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,926 Posts
Ok glad you got it open. Here is the mod I did after mine snagged up once with a clip that popped off. Drill two holes and add some cable ties. Gives you something to pull on if the main bars come loose from their pins near the center. I have never had to use it since I tightened the e-clips.

Things were easier to see from under the latch before I installed the "fix-it-before-it-breaks" kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All. Got the Liner up, pins in with new clips and plans to do the tie strap mod.
Thanks again for sharing.

Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts