BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know off-hand the bolt diameter of the pin that holds the trunk tether cord in place? I noticed today that mine was missing. In the past, it was always laying in the bottom of the trunk, but no luck this time. Apparently, it fell onto a jacket or the liner bag and got slung somewhere when they were removed from the trunk. Looks like maybe a 5 mm bolt just eyeballing it, but probably could be a 4. I have a 6 I will try, but I am almost certain that is too big so I will need to buy a replacement and then grind down the end so it doesn’t cut into the tether loop.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Does anyone know off-hand the bolt diameter of the pin that holds the trunk tether cord in place? I noticed today that mine was missing. In the past, it was always laying in the bottom of the trunk, but no luck this time. Apparently, it fell onto a jacket or the liner bag and got slung somewhere when they were removed from the trunk. Looks like maybe a 5 mm bolt just eyeballing it, but probably could be a 4. I have a 6 I will try, but I am almost certain that is too big so I will need to buy a replacement and then grind down the end so it doesn’t cut into the tether loop.
5mm is probably right. If I measure at the head before the threads start, I get about 4.95 and the threads 4.69.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5mm is probably right. If I measure at the head before the threads start, I get about 4.95 and the threads 4.69.
Thanks. Often the fiche gives this size, but not in this case.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought some M5 screws, but they are the fairly common 0.8 mm thread pitch and apparently the tether anchor screw is 0.5 mm which are scarce as hens teeth in the US. I can’t even find them at Fastenal. Oh well, the tether generally stays in place without the screw and it will have to wait until I get back as I am sure it will be a special order part from BMW that will take 3 weeks to get here and I leave in a week.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
I just pulled mine and put my thread gauge on it and it is a 0.8. I just put a panel fastener in there just fine.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just pulled mine and put my thread gauge on it and it is a 0.8. I just put a panel fastener in there just fine.
That is strange as the M5-0.8 cap head screws that I bought will not go it. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took a screw out of the fairing and it did go in as John said. Compared the thread pitch to the screws I bought and they are identical. Hmmm. Tried a different screw from the box I bought and it did go in after a fashion. I think the issue is that the Chinese cap screws have basically no bevel on the business end of the screw as do the BMW screws. The screw has to be held in perfect alignment and turned very carefully to get it started.

Even though the prices will increase, I am hoping the tariffs will return some small parts manufacturing to the US...

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200
1 - 7 of 7 Posts