BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to lighten the load by removing the rear trunk ( the copilot isn't riding much these days) - I've seen all the threads on trunk removal, but my 1999 KLT has an additional cable connection running through the left side of the trunk (left when you are facing forward on the bike) into the grommetted hole, under the speaker. It appears to be the wire for the passenger intercom connection and doesnt appear to have a quick release under the seat, as the other cables do - it connects to a tootsie roll looking thing surrounded in rubber, under the passenger seat, with no way to disconnect it. I'm guessing I have to disconnect this wire from inside the left side of the trunk, under the speaker, disassembling the intercom plug. Anyone know about this wire? Thanks :confused:

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Utopian said:
I've decided to lighten the load by removing the rear trunk ( the copilot isn't riding much these days) - I've seen all the threads on trunk removal, but my 1999 KLT has an additional cable connection running through the left side of the trunk (left when you are facing forward on the bike) into the grommetted hole, under the speaker. It appears to be the wire for the passenger intercom connection and doesnt appear to have a quick release under the seat, as the other cables do - it connects to a tootsie roll looking thing surrounded in rubber, under the passenger seat, with no way to disconnect it. I'm guessing I have to disconnect this wire from inside the left side of the trunk, under the speaker, disassembling the intercom plug. Anyone know about this wire? Thanks :confused:
The 'tootsie roll looking thing' *should* be a matching pair of 6-pin DIN connectors with a rubber sheath slid over them. If you slide the sheath off, the connectors should separate easily.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Richard, my 02 had the intercom added after delivery and the wire on the left I believe you are referring to is a pull apart type that just sits under the rear seat. There is also a wire on the right side that goes to the rear push to talk button which is also a pull apart connection under the rear seat. I would keep looking along the wire for the connection point. If you cannot find it you can always splice the wire and add your own connectors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
randy said:
The 'tootsie roll looking thing' *should* be a matching pair of 6-pin DIN connectors with a rubber sheath slid over them. If you slide the sheath off, the connectors should separate easily.
I found the connectors - thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts