BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder which is the most popular of bags for the LT trunk rack. Wonder what you have and why you like it?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Good Question.........

I'm wondering also.....
Right now I'm leaning toward Mags Bags because of large volume, 31 litres, and the waterproof cover4.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
See this post

We just went through this.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
No competition, IMHO...

Steve_R said:
We just went through this.
Yes...but that thread didn't have my input in it...therefore, it was void of all sound advise!

Thee best rack bag has got to be the Chicane Bag.
It looks as nice as their tankbag, if not nicer. Has the integrated/attached rain cover, side pockets on three sides, and is big enough to be more-than-functional . . . but not TOO big. This is the third rack bag I've had, and by far, my favorite. If you get one that's too big, it make the LT WAY TOO top heavy...YIKES! And, it doesn't help your mileage any either.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just use the same bag I take on my kayak. Completely waterproof, no fussing with covers. Reasonably priced. Almost any size you think will work. Most colors and clear.

No matter what bag you put on it makes the bike look ugly, just look at Joes pictures. So why not get something that works.

Rick

·
Registered
237 Posts
Trunk Bag

I have the Mags Bag and like it. It is very easy getting it on and off the bike and has never been an issue with stability. I like the fact that I can keep it in the smaller capacity set up most times but can expand it when we are on an extended trip. I also like the ease and visibility if the enclosed rain cover.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Another option

I use a dry sack bought at REI for under $30 and secure it with a cargo net when traveling. I put all the items that I won't need during the time on the road in the dry sack. I keep stuff like Kaye's raingear under the cargo net in it's own bag or in the trunk/side cases so it is accessable. My riding gear is Darien 'Stitch so no need for rain gear.

The dry sack is not as slick looking as the Chicane Bag (I have & love their tank bag) but it does the job at a fraction of the cost.

I use to have a custom bag similar to the Chicane Trunk Bag on my Ultra and found the dry sack/cargo net setup to be far more flexible so when I got the LT I didn't even consider anything else.

Dave

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Now THAT's funny!

TandemCyclist said:
I just use the same bag I take on my kayak. Completely waterproof, no fussing with covers. Reasonably priced. Almost any size you think will work. Most colors and clear.

No matter what bag you put on it makes the bike look ugly, just look at Joes pictures. So why not get something that works.

Rick
I noticed "T-Ricky" didn't post pics of his gloriously fuctional bag. No brand. No link. No nuttin'! Just the "same bag I take on my kayak". Well now...isn't THAT some helpful information!
:D

Got any other great advise we should all know about?

·
Registered
704 Posts
RKA here too. I like the side pockets for small things and the rain cover. Also that it is expandable when needed. It has a hand carry handle as well as shoulder strap. Fits perfectly and uses velcro in the factory slots on the rack. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another vote for the Chicane bag. Seems like it is just the right size. Really straps on solid, nice integrated rain cover. Great Quality! Use is to store my rain suit or light bulky items.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Third vote for RKA. It has a lot of space when expanded and I keep my laptop in it when I can not take my regular work case with me.

The only disadvantage I have found with it is the "self-emptying" feature of the lid pockets. All the little things always fall out when the lid of the bag bends down after opening. The direction of the "mouth" of these pockets shoud be reversed.

Regards

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sorry Joe, sometimes I assume other people do things other than ride motorcycles. (smiley face)
Your basic dry bag is what I use. Have about 4 sizes for the same price as a bag made for the LT. Plus they come in handy for a lot of other things like storing tools in a wet climate with some desiccant. (face with rain above)

Here is the lowest price for a good bag that I'm aware of.
http://216.211.137.226/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=33

(funny face, funny face, funny face)

Rick

·
Registered
216 Posts
Another option....

I use Kathy's Rack Bag. I think it was $70-$80 bucks and is waterproof and expandable. Sits tight on the rack and easy to remove also. I love mine, but haven't tried any of the other bags...

My .02

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Yep, we just went thought this. I just got in the mail a bag from Helen Twowheels. The make a bag called Clothes sack which has three sizes. We bought the medium bag. What I like so far is it water proof, has no zipper and your roll it up as you take out put in items. I have secured it with velcro straps bought a hardware store. http://www.helen2wheels.com/products/index.html

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I use a white glad tall kitchen garbage bag, with some duct tape, it doesn't really matter the wifes stuff goes in it anyway!

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I have Kathy's top case bag from Bob's BMW. It's waterproof (no cover needed), fits the rack well, is expandable and holds quite a bit of stuff. I've stuffed it full and ridden through hundreds of miles of rain and everything stayed dry. IMHO it's the best value out there for a top rack bag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts