BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had that happen yet. Filled the little compartment with flip down mirror with too much junk, I guess, but broke the tap off the mirror and also broke off the housing the little tap goes into. Any fix to this or is something I just live with?

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Piano hinge

Dick Largen posted a nice fix for this.
Use a small piano hinge for the repair. No more problem.....ever.
;)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bustedknuckles said:
Dick Largen posted a nice fix for this.
Use a small piano hinge for the repair. No more problem.....ever.
;)
andddddddddddd where do I find this post????????????????

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Here's a pic of the hinge. I got mine at Home Depot. They have several different lengths, butt the small 4" one seemed to work the best. After you have the hinge affixed to the plates, snap off the ends of the screws flush, so they don't mar nor 'shred' what they touch. HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DaFlake said:
Thanks, guys..... Off to home depot.........
Ditto, you guys fuc..ing rock. I do not know where this wisdom comes from, I too am off to Home Depot.

·
Cat Herder
1,485 Posts
I wish I would have seen that post last year when I ran over some bumpy road and my trunk mirror tabs broke off. I ended up spending $40 on a new mirror part and the thin plastic cover part... :(

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seee, mine has been broken for awhile and for what-ever-reason I just thought? post a question and see what happens. The knowledge here just blows me away. I think it is so cool that folks have ideas like that, now I can not wait and go fix it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Mine has broken twice, and been replaced twice by my dealer, free of charge.
Hinge is a load of rubbish, and I reckon they think so too, so therefore, no arguement.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When mine broke, I used velcro to form a hinge. It has worked for 4 years and it gives when I overstuff the trunk. I have had to replace the velcro once in this time because the glue gave way, but not that big of a deal. The velcro is easy to fix, no drilling, no mess. I cleaned up the areas with some alcohol, stuck the grip sid on the bike parts and stuck the fuzzy side to the two parts and there you go.

Just another alternative.

·
Registered
99 Posts
motorman587 said:
Seee, mine has been broken for awhile and for what-ever-reason I just thought? post a question and see what happens. The knowledge here just blows me away. I think it is so cool that folks have ideas like that, now I can not wait and go fix it.
I found this site about a week before i purchased my new LT and it has been a goldmine of dos and don'ts for the newbie Beemer owner, lemme tell ya!
I've got a file started and i copy things like this into it. then, when i run into problems down the road--as i inevitably will--i can peruse the folder and see whether it has been addressed.
Never underestimate the power of people in large groups!!!
:yeah:

·
Registered
105 Posts
This happened to me too, overstuffing the trunk and its gone.

What I didn't fix yet is the broken mirror. I was thinking of buying some perspex mirror(Plexiglas, Lucite, Acrylite, and Rhoplex (in the USA), and Oroglas (in Europe)
Or to change it alltogether for some other use. But I havent had a good idea yet.
Anyone got some input

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also ran over something which caused the mirror to break an ear off. The piano hinge seems like a viable solution, thx.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Hey folks - I gotta tell ya sumpthin'. Although I got the picture, I wuzn't the inventor of this piano hinge fix. I'm pretty sure it wuz Grif, who had the idea first (but coulda been Dave Moore - I dunno 'bout no CRS - I've got CRAFT!!). Anyway, just wanted to clear up the fact it wuzn't me with the good mod, so y'all can quit sending me them donations!!! :D :D :p

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hmmm, may have to add that to my "things to do on the bike this winter" list. First, I'll have to peel off the duct tape!

Then again, the duct tape has been working all this time, so......

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am working on the hinge thing now, but I like the velcro idea also. So if the hinge think don't work, velcro it is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I used a piece of nylon strapping cut from an old backpack. Cut a small piece and used epoxy to glue to the mirror and the plastic below - voila! new hinge.

·
IBR# 366
16,568 Posts
When my '02 trunk mirror pins broke, the dealer gave me the replacement parts under warranty. I immediately put them in a box in the garage, where they're still pristine and haven't broken in almost 70K miles. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts