BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fasten some plastic pieces to attach and support an organizer I bought that actually fits a GW (read that quietly please). My question is how much room is there between the inner shell and the out shell? Maybe 1/2" to 5/8" at the most is my guess. Let me know what you think before I really screww up here and poke a hole to the outside world.

I plan to use a really course threaded screw simialr to the ones that are used to hold the speakers in place.

This site rules!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Keith,

I just drilled holes and mounted a BMW rack to the trunk. At the spots where those holes were drilled, ( 5 in total four for the feet one for wiring ) there is no space between inner and outer shell.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
When I installed a trunk rack on my '99 I didn't notice that there were any layers to the trunk lid. Only in the center, where there's a storage compartment is there any gap to tap into.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
704 Posts
If I am reading correctly, it is not a rack for the top of the box, but a divider system inside the box that you are attemping to install?

If so, try doing a search for 'topbox liner' or 'topcase liner' There are several threads with photos that will give you an idea of what is in there.

Good luck with this project. It looks like a good and rather simple one.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
With the subject line of "trunk lid" I was assuming drilling into the lid to install the divider system. Easy enough to find out how much clearence is between the trunk bottom and the liner. Take out the liner. I don't see screws being held by the liner very well...
Maybe we need more info? :confused:

Jer

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
jers99lt said:
Take out the liner. I don't see screws being held by the liner very well...
Maybe we need more info? :confused:

Jer
Pretty sure the liner can NOT be removed, I remember reading some older threads that in addition to the screws it is also welded to the inside of the top.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
Pretty sure the liner can NOT be removed, I remember reading some older threads that in addition to the screws it is also welded to the inside of the top.
The sentence before the portion of my text you included. "Easy enough to find out how much clearence is between the trunk bottom and the liner", may explain better what I meant. I'm still unclear as to where this divider will actually go. Top or bottom on top box?
The OP might return to this thread if our input is really necessary.

Thanks,
Jer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts