BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
All
A while back, Larry Shumer formerly of Rider West, used to provide kits that would add Running Lights and Turn Signal Lights to the trunk of the K1200LT. Larry has retired from the forum, so the kits are no longer available. His web site (Rider West) has also been shut down and with that all of his documentation.

Lately, I decided to add the Running Lights and Turn Signal Lights to my LT. Fortunately, I had a copy of the documentation that Larry had created and sent to me, so assembling the "kit" was fairly straight forward. However, as I started this project, I saw that there have been some new solutions that would make this project a bit easier for someone. As a result, I started documenting what I did that was slightly different from Larry's original set of instructions. Additionally, I have written to Larry, asking his permission to post the original Rider West instructions, along with my additions. As soon as I get Larrry's OK, I'll post the updated documentation, that includes sourcing for the various components.

But, in the mean time, this is what the project involved:
1. Sourcing LEDs SMD3825 with 120 leds/meter.
2. Planning a new wiring harness that allowed replacement of each LED element, without impacting any other segment.
3. Developing an alternative wire harness routing design that still allowed removal of the taillight assembly and the trunk via quick disconnects.
4. Wire Harness documentation for future maintenance.
5. The circuits all originate from the tail light assemble using the two outer sockets for the Turn Signal LEDs and the Left inner socket for the Running Light LEDs.

Here are some of the PICs Once I get Larry's go ahead, I'll post the full implementation instructions

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I like the ones on the tip over bars. Nice job.
I have the instructions from Larry Shumer for the tip over wings. It's a very easy install, you can use the left over amber LEDs from the trunk install do do this project. It will take about 1 Hr, with soldering connectors to the left over LED strips.

Registered
I ended up putting lights behind the round emblem that are blue and then turn amber when the signal lights are on.Being there's a hack on I decided to have them higher as you wouldn't see them on the right side. On the solo K I might put a set on the tip over wings. One day I try to post pictures.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Al promised, here are the updated installation instructions that were originally developed by Larry Shumer, of Rider West. I've made modifications (noted in yellow) that takes into consideration alternate wire harness routing and newer types of LEDs and connectors.
If anyone sees an error, please note and I will update the documentation accordingly.

Attachments

Registered
Al promised, here are the updated installation instructions that were originally developed by Larry Shumer, of Rider West. I've made modifications (noted in yellow) that takes into consideration alternate wire harness routing and newer types of LEDs and connectors.
If anyone sees an error, please note and I will update the documentation accordingly.
Looks good Rick. A few years ago I installed the system as per the original instructions. I like your idea of drilling holes and running the wires inside the trunk. I may have to redo mine now to make the wiring neater. I liked the waterproof plugs you used, and now may have to get some.
Another option for the LEDs is where I got mine, Oznium.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
The LED source is pretty much up to the individual and how comfortable they are with the supplier. I've ordered two separate sets of LEDs from this supplier. They take about 7 days to turn an order around, depending upon what you request. For this installation, the key was to acquire the additional 3M tape for adhesion. There are a few suppliers of water proof quick disconnects. I will say that getting the hang of doing the crimps are a PIA, since the gauges are small. Once you do though it goes quickly.

Registered
Could you post the instructions for the tip over wings lights? Thanks! Everything you did looks great!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Could you post the instructions for the tip over wings lights? Thanks! Everything you did looks great!
I will post the instructions, but I have to first update them. The set that Larry sent me was for a side marker light kit that he was marketing at the time. He produced the Top Over Kit later, so I never got that write up. The instructions that I will post will deal with LEDs on the tip over wings. I should have them ready next week some time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
As promised, here are the updated Tip Over Wing LED Strip instructions as originally developed by Larry Shumer of Rider West. These instructions have been modified to use LED Strips on the tip over wings.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts