BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an ad in the ON from Millenhaus Distributors for trunk latch kit but everytime I get on the site they say they should have new kits soon. It has been like this for months. Is this company legit? Is there anyone else that sells the trunk latch kit?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
hotzone said:
I saw an ad in the ON from Millenhaus Distributors for trunk latch kit but everytime I get on the site they say they should have new kits soon. It has been like this for months. Is this company legit? Is there anyone else that sells the trunk latch kit?
Tate wuz on here last evening. Put a PM up for him to reply to when he gets back on here. Send it to < zotter >, and he'll get it.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
also try sending a PM to BMWrider79 he was making kits also.

Roy

·
Registered
624 Posts
hotzone said:

I have one on my LT. It works great! He probably just needs to have enough orders to make it worth his while to make them, along with making the machine time to run them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I also have a broken latch. I e-mailed many months ago, at that time he said his place got flooded and it would be some time before he got things back together. So when ever that is I will buy one. But it would be nice to know or to get an update ever now and then.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
ARGH! I hate this! Folks need their kits and I can't get 'em finished right.

I've got 60 kits at a finish house now. They told me I'd have them in hand and ready to ship weeks ago!! Last time I went out to look, they'd been primed and were being wet sanded for final coat. I *hope* that's been done by now.

Due to problems with finish in the past, I won't take any orders until I *know* I've got good kits ready to ship. Best plan now (as I told Hotzone in a PM) is to email me at: [email protected] - that'll get you on the waiting list. Folks on the list get first shot at the kits when I have them in hand and KNOW they're good to go. After that, I'll start taking orders on the web site again - until this batch is gone.

If by chance you want an un-finished kit (no paint - just raw aluminum) let me know at the same email addy - I can ship those out now.

Now, when I can actually ship a few kits, I can get my 'Vendor' status here updated and get things right again. Current project budget doesn't allow for 'extras' at the minute.

Whether or not there are more kits after this batch is gone? Well, we'll see - no promises. Seems like there's a growing demand in Europe - that's for sure!

(EDIT) I'd almost forgotten about the flood (upstairs toilet fill valve failure while we were at the Black Hills Stampede). That put a bit of a wrench in the works. That's when I realized I needed to out source the finishing and not try to do it all myself. Now I almost wish I'd kept 'em!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can you tell me more about these kits please, every weekend when I ride to work i have to stuff my topcase full of clothes etc and have heard that the cast ally can break. I am assuming that these kits are just stronger replacements for those hooks?
Cheers

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
It's not the hooks, it's the latch.

The hooks aren't what breaks. It is the cheap potmetal cast unit at the back. You can see where mine is broken in the upper left hand corner. The hook on that side now no longer works. I have removed the latch pin from the trunk lid on that side so I can still lock the trunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Removing the latch pin

When I picked up my bike, there was a little bag with a latch pin in it. I was told that by removing one of the two pins, you could prevent the latch from breaking. It seems to hold just fine with one, so I left it out.

Is that the normal preventative measure?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Re: Removing the latch pin

Not normal but it works. I'd rather have the topcase held down on both sides, not just one, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check out Millenhaus.com

There is detailed information on how to replace once you get the kit.

If you go through BMW, they make you buy the whole lower case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts