BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok add mine to the broken trunk latch club. Broke on left side. I have searched and searched and cannot find directions for removing the trunk latch assy. All help is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If I recall correctly it's held in by pop rivets. Drill them out and out it comes. I do know for certain that's what I used to put mine back together. Remove the retainer strap and trunk liner and you'll have a better view of the mechanism. Make sure to have something to prop up the lid when you disconnect the strap. Be every careful with the miniature c-clips as they like to fly away.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just ordered my "Fix it before it breaks" kit from Trunklatch.com. I did a "tune up" on my locking mechanism when I bought the bike - slightly polished the inside surfaces of the latching dogs that contact the 2 pins, oiled the mechanism pivots and lightly greased the pins and dogs for minimum sliding friction. But the best tip I can give is to apply downward force with the hand on top of the lid directly above the latch when opening and closing, makes a huge difference to the requied operating forces and may just save a failure. Hope this helps, but I'll be installing my "beef up" kit as soon as I receive it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the removal instructions. I have always applied downward pressure. I even had my wife trained to do it also. But the SOB broke anyway. Looked at the instructions and it looks likea lot of fun. Guess I will be buying a new tool to put rivets in.
Thanks all

·
Registered
999 Posts
I put mine back together with little nuts and bolts even tho I have a pop rivet gun, I just glued the piece that broke off with one of the metal replacement epoxys, built it up on the inside reinforcing it with a strip of sheet metal, I still have to touch it up with black paint, being lazy and forgetfull may never happen, I lubricated the pins and pivot points of the mechanism as I put it back together and it operates very smoothly now, if it breaks again will have to reconsider what to do

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just ordered my "Fix it before it breaks" kit from Trunklatch.com. I did a "tune up" on my locking mechanism when I bought the bike - slightly polished the inside surfaces of the latching dogs that contact the 2 pins, oiled the mechanism pivots and lightly greased the pins and dogs for minimum sliding friction. But the best tip I can give is to apply downward force with the hand on top of the lid directly above the latch when opening and closing, makes a huge difference to the requied operating forces and may just save a failure. Hope this helps, but I'll be installing my "beef up" kit as soon as I receive it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts