BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

General Interest

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of making a solid aluminum trunk latch for around $200 shipped, driver pegs for around $155, a redesigned rack with helmet locks similar to a Ft. Worth rack ($?), and an aluminum cup holder to fit a standard water bottle, <$65.
I know this is a complete long shot, but if you fellers could just confirm that you have a GENERAL interest in a FAR REMOTE POSSIBILTY of one day perhaps purchasing such an item, if the quality AND design is A+.
The cost of autocad setup is very high, so I was hoping for feedback, prior to investing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
I am in the process of making a solid aluminum trunk latch for around $200 shipped, driver pegs for around $155, a redesigned rack with helmet locks similar to a Ft. Worth rack ($?), and an aluminum cup holder to fit a standard water bottle, <$65.
I know this is a complete long shot, but if you fellers could just confirm that you have a GENERAL interest in a FAR REMOTE POSSIBILTY of one day perhaps purchasing such an item, if the quality AND design is A+.
The cost of autocad setup is very high, so I was hoping for feedback, prior to investing.
I couldn't say that I would buy any of the items you mention but I would certainly consider each one. I am pretty happy with my OEM top case rack and cup holder but if you have a better idea I would like to see them. I've used Suburban Machinery peg extenders for a few months and like the feel but not the appearance. If the pegs you have in mind are in lieu of alternative to J-Pegs or Mick-O-Pegs, I would consider them too. The Mick's are just too ugly for me and the J-Pegs don't look like they would be very comfortable. I have some J-Pegs that are not yet installed and that is a good thing because the right one would have been broken off a couple of days ago like my peg extenders were when I got slammed by a cager.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
How about a cup holder for the K1600? So far there is nothing specifically for the K1600, on the market that I'm aware of and the customer base is growing.

Maybe driver pegs for the stock BMW engine protection bars too?

Both of the above would be for a new market.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RiderRay said:
Trunk latch and pegs are already available by vendors on this site. The rack and cup holder sound very interesting.
$360 for a latch was a bit steep for me, along with I want a new design for pegs. Competetion is always good. :D

The cupholder is coming along nicely.... That should be good.........

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DanDiver said:
How about a cup holder for the K1600? So far there is nothing specifically for the K1600, on the market that I'm aware of and the customer base is growing.

Maybe driver pegs for the stock BMW engine protection bars too?

Both of the above would be for a new market.
I will check it out Dan! ( I used to live near you in Dunedin)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
I will check it out Dan! ( I used to live near you in Dunedin)

Thanks!
I thought I recognized Scottish the accent.

I actually lived on Lake Tarpon (Palm Harbor/Tarpon Springs area) for 15 years before moving to Tampa, 20 years ago. We used to ride our bicycles out to Dunedin Beach on the Pinellas Trail when I lived there. I still miss the lake but not the traffic.

Check out: WWW.K1600forum.com for more K1600 parts interest.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Cochinosucio said:

I haven't had any trouble with my trunk latch but I feel that it is just a matter of time until I do.

I have the Jpegs but they aren't all that comfortable for me, I'm thinking of adding the MOP so I'm interested in the driver pegs.

I have the BMW cupholder but am curious to see what ya got!

I wouldn't be interested in the rack.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
When you refer to a "redesigned rack" are you referring to top case rack? Would not mind something more sturdy than the plastic one that BMW sells for a gazillion dollars. being aluminum, would not have worries about plastic chrome plating peeling off as it is on mine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
deputy5211 said:
When you refer to a "redesigned rack" are you referring to top case rack? Would not mind something more sturdy than the plastic one that BMW sells for a gazillion dollars. being aluminum, would not have worries about plastic chrome plating peeling off as it is on mine.
Kinda thinking of a shelf, with room underneath for a book bag or such. This is the one without the top case. Hard to explain, but I will be taking pics and accepting critiques in the final stages...

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's great to hear what you're doing Dan! I need pegs and a latch may be in the future if it fails like so many others. If they're nice and have a decent price, you'll be in business!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
L_Rudy said:
It's great to hear what you're doing Dan! I need pegs and a latch may be in the future if it fails like so many others. If they're nice and have a decent price, you'll be in business!
Rudy,
Not trying to thwart a future sale, but the FiX-it-Before it breaks kit is $128, and avaliable now. I put one on my latch and am happy with the product.

·
Registered
241 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
Rudy,
Not trying to thwart a future sale, but the FiX-it-Before it breaks kit is $128, and avaliable now. I put one on my latch and am happy with the product.
That's right! I remember reading about this in a forum. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Riders,

I saw the LTLatch kit mentioned so I thought I'd share my recent repair. I recently bought a '99 K1200LT and have been spending the last few weeks taking it apart, doing repairs, cleaning it up, full maintenance, etc. (too cold to ride up here!). There are several of the common issues to fix on this bike including the trunk latch.

The top left corner was broken so I searched the web and this forum for solutions. Obviously the cost for a BMW replacement was out of the question. I found the latch reinforcement kit at http://www.lttrunklatch.com/ that was a lot more reasonable than the $360 for the 3rd party replacement handles I found. The web site said it would not work on latches that have already broken, but I saw someone shared (sorry, can't fine the post now) how he repaired his latch by "gluing" it back together with something like JB Weld and added reinforcement.

I decided to try the JB weld to put the broken corner/arm back on and then put the latch reinforcement kit on it. Worked great!!!

Pics attached with kit installed and the handle after re-paint.

Jerrold

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Possible interest in replacement top case rack , driver pegs and cup holder.

More farkles :bmw: always good.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hmmmmm. Seems like enough members willing to spend enough money to make it worthwhile. So, where's the OP to tell us when production is going to get underway?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts