BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I messed up and was not proactive on the trunk Latch issue. The handle is now broken in the upper left corner and it will only open the lid if you hold your tounge in the perfect position.

Anybody have the part numbers and a guess at the cost? Then, after I replace the parts, what should I do to prevent another problem?
(yes, I tried a search first, but think it was on the old forum much earlier).

2000 LTC

Lowell

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Indiviual parts are not available to make repairs to the trunk latch assy. You must replace the trunk completely or find the parts from salvage. :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply...doesn't sound good. I will start checking around here on Monday.
Lowell

·
Registered
107 Posts
latch

if the latch is only broken on one side, see if you can get it open and remove the pin from that side. It worked for me, only latching on one side now but I'm able to live with it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Just before WEB-SITE switchover there was a post where someone was investigating making heavy-duty handle replacements (check archives).

My trunk handle broke upper right corner. Removed the top lid pin so not to get locked out.
Dealer replaced entire lower trunk under warranty.

This is another of those things that does not add up quality wise on a top line brand machine and to not have a handle replacement part just makes no sense????

Doug Holck

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I was one of 2 or 3 guys looking into the manufacturing of these latches. Some one donated a broken one as a pattern.

I manage a CNC machine shop. We are qualified to make them, the problem is machine time. and actual cost to produce. The front visual surface is curved like if you sliced the top of a basketball off. It is spherical.

This in its self is not difficult to machine but some what time consuming cut time well over 1 hour to get a good finish anyway.

Then there is the finish of the part. Powdercoat is easy and reasonable, satin chrome or chrome is whole other matter. Might be cost prohibitive.

If 10 guys line up I will come up with a price and offer for sale. I will need 10 serious customers first. with 1/3 down. This would be done as a minimal profit venture to help out fellow LTer's This would be one per paying customer. No reselling for profit. That would negate the purpose of helping out others here.

It would take 3 to 4 weeks to get 10 thru the shop. Could not interfere with regualr business.

Send a PM if serious.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Last time I asked for interested parties, I easily had 10 folks respond - considering how many others may not have posted in a "wait 'n see" mindset I can only assume there are many more.

I've a guy in Texas who runs a CNC shop that's been working on a replacement as well. So far no real $$ invested - I've a lower trunk that was partialy burned in an accident going down to Evan so he can complete his design. He's got my broken latch and as soon as I remove the bent, but intact latch from this burned out lower, it's on it's way. If you can come up with one before we do, go for it!! There's plenty of demand to go around.

There've been many start a project like this - there were even pictures on the old site of a prototype - no one's produced any for sale, yet. Whoever does first will have the un-ending gratitude of LT owners everywhere. Make it happen! :up:

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Ok gentlemen, I will provide a quote next week for machining only.

Finish will TBD by demand. How do you all feel about painting them yourselves? I could provide them clear anodized or irridited so paint would stick.

Opinions welcome at this time concerning finish.

As a thought if they were anodized black they could be laser etched. Most any cad drawing could be done. A extra cost and lead time would apply.

Copyright laws would apply here. no Roundel BMW logos

A spot (round pocket) could be made for a small self stick roundel though!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike,
I am interested. Email me with the price. As far as finish, I am not sure, what would be good. I really don't have a source for painting it, so ready to install might be best for me.
Lowell

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
lavamanz said:
if the latch is only broken on one side, see if you can get it open and remove the pin from that side. It worked for me, only latching on one side now but I'm able to live with it.
I think Joe's got the right idea here. Back in '99 when the latch handle broke on my then 4 month old Canyon Red the lower trunk half was replaced under warranty. When I got the bike back I immediately removed the locking pin from the left side top trunk. Never had any more problems. I just purchased a used '05 LT and noticed the trunk latch had that same "gritty" feel to it when latching. So, the first thing I did to it was remove the left side locking pin. Problem solved. Oh yea, the 'ol '99 ran for 93,000 miles with only one latching pin and never came un-locked. Seems like a simple and most importantly, really cheap fix.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
After the dealer replaced my unit I closely examined the device. Th culprit is the 2 latches that hook the 2 pins on the top case. The finish on them is dog rough.

I took a dremel and put a real smooth finish on the underside where they contact the 2 pins. Now they have a polished finish on them. Much smoother operation.

From my own examination of the problem here is what I discern.

1 the rough surface on the bottom grabbers deteriorates the pins.
2 the added friction then causes undue stress on the handle
3 over time the repetitive nature of the stress on the handle it just fails.

Knowing something about die cast dies. ( I am a Mold and Die Maker by trade) A 3 hour fix on the die could add the much needed extra metal needed to make the latch handle unbreakable.
This just plain stubbornness on behalf of BMW not to fix this problem from the get go.

Pricing is forth coming.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Harve;

Did that include all the latches, springs and clips or just the latch component?

Just curious

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Have you thought about just making the face of the handle flat? Curved to match the trunk profile is nice, but is it necessary? That may save you some machining time (and cost). Also, I would assume that just a simple black anodize or powder coat would be sufficient, and much easier than the customer trying to paint it at home.

I understand the possibility of custom finishes, or even engraving some cool logo, but I think if you could just produce a standard part that fits and works for a reasonable price, that you would have people lining up to buy them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
bmwrider79 said:
After the dealer replaced my unit I closely examined the device. Th culprit is the 2 latches that hook the 2 pins on the top case. The finish on them is dog rough.
Since I have only had my '99 for about a week, I really didn't know what you all were talking about with the rough finish. The previous owner did caution me to push down on the trunk lid when latching it to eliminate undue stress on the latches.

So, I went and looked at mine at lunch. The left pin is worn about 1/2 way through. The right pin looks like new. From what I have gathered in this thread, the problem only seems to come form the left latch pin.

Any idea why it is only the left one that is having problems?

My though would be to blue the left hand latch with Dykem and gradually grind away until it doesn't bite into the latch pin.

I agree with bmwrider79 that the surface is rough, but I think that is only half of it. If it was just the roughness, then both latch pins would be worn. I think the left latch is doing all the work in pulling the trunk lid down, which seems more like an alignment problem to me, a very consistent alignment problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can count me in on a handle.
Anodized black is fine by me. Keep it simple. I'm not one for a lot of show, just funtion!
The top L corner broke last weekend on my '99 with 112k on it. So that case has been opened/shut a gazillion times.
The cheapest I found for a used lower 1/2 of the case used in a different color than my Basalt is $150 & then more $ to have it painted to match.
Chris

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Latch price

Ok gentlemen We did the math for 10 at a time we figured it be about $165.00 at the most. If a flat back is OK then it will be less.

We will be starting to make some in the next couple of weeks. End of november completion.

Finish to be black powdercoat or black anodized.

Actual manufacturing cost to be tallied and final cost will not exceed $165.00 if all goes well it will be less.

I will need a chicago area fellow LTer in need of one to test fit one. So let me know

1 - 20 of 64 Posts