BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bad: the trunk latch on my '03 LTE self destructed a couple of weeks ago and I knew that it would at some time because of the excessive friction encountered when latching it.

The Good: I purchased an Interstate Star Sport (Diamond Coverage) extended warranty from Bob's BMW and it covered the replacement of the lower trunk ($938.44 installed less my $50 deductible) absolutely hassle free.

The Bad: No question, this trunk latch will self destruct at some point down the road (got 3 1/4 years and 25K out of the first) as it has the same excessive friction as did the original.

Temporary Solution: I have removed the left-side latch pin from the top trunk as this is the side that broke and still exhibits excessive tightness.

Potential Solution (your thoughts requested): remove the two trunk-top latch pin holders (they appear to be pop riveted in place) and then shim (about .030) and then re-rivet into place. Do you think this would work?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
That would work fine. But I think you get the same result by using a Dremel tool on the moving parts that latch over those pins. Just shave .030 off of them and go from there. Worked for me.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Or you can check with Millenhaus (one of our site supporting vendors):

Distributors of the highest quality, hand crafted CNC milled billet aluminum products. Sharing a passion for The Ride seconded only by our passion for 'doing it right'. Our founding product, the Tail Trunk Latch Repair Kit is shipping now. www.millenhaus.com

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
ytk said:
--------------Potential Solution (your thoughts requested): remove the two trunk-top latch pin holders (they appear to be pop riveted in place) and then shim (about .030) and then re-rivet into place. Do you think this would work?
I think there is a back-up plate inside that the rivets go through. If you drill out the rivets and the plate moves around, you would have a very difficult time getting it back in place and supported to put the new rivets in.

A better solution is to Dremel off some of the pin contact surface of the latch claws to loosen up the grip. Several have done that.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
eljeffe said:
Or you can check with Millenhaus (one of our site supporting vendors):

Distributors of the highest quality, hand crafted CNC milled billet aluminum products. Sharing a passion for The Ride seconded only by our passion for 'doing it right'. Our founding product, the Tail Trunk Latch Repair Kit is shipping now. www.millenhaus.com
Hmmmm - a well crafted letter to all the companies providing Extended Warranty policies that covers the trunk latch, would seem to me a worthwhile endeavor. And prolly a few of the major BMW dealerships would like to know about the Millenhaus product too!

I watched the first versions being made here locally and wuz definitely impressed with the work and time put in to produce a quality solution to a 'too frequent' problem. And one that offers a lifetime warranty, right??

BMW oughta outsource to Millenhaus for this item. And BTW, what the heck happens to the lower trunks that the insurance companies settle for??? :rolleyes: :bmw:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Latch

Dave's solution is a good one, I like mine: Just swap out the 5mm pins for some 4mm pins and you will never have latch trouble again.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Did all the mods to the claws and took off a few thousands off the latch pins and closed with the utmost care on my 02 and it still cracked and turn to S**T. Waited for one of our LTers to CNC a replacment. Seems he lost interest or got side tracked. Wife saw the frustration every time I used the truck. She took it upon herself and ordered one from Millenhaus for my last birthday. Top notch craftsmanship all be it a little spendy. Still cheaper than buying a whole bottom trunk assembly. Works great will recommend too anyone who asks........

·
Registered
348 Posts
Trunk Latch

That price for the Millenhaus doesn't seem so bad; I paid $275 for a stock (and therefore weak) used one off a wreck!

·
Registered
470 Posts
BilletsGalore: It shows I'm happy.........

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Craig - Evan get's the credit for the parts and how they work. I just did the delivery part. He's done goond - way good.

And I gotta admit, I enjoyed working with your lady to treat ya for your B-day. I'd say she's a keeper :thumb:

·
Registered
99 Posts
The dremel tool will take the material off, but it leaves too rough of a surface to not wreck the pins or cause excessive drag. After using the dremel in the corners remove the whole claw and put it in a vice with a couple pieces of carap wood or paint sticks against them so the jaws don't bite into them....have it premarked to take off about .030...and use a hand file going lengthwise on the claw to remove any rough spots caused by the dremel. Actually the material is quite soft...you can use a round file in the corners if you have one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Trunk Latch Broken

My 2002 LT Rear Trunk Latch broke this week. I contacted Morton's BMW and was told that my Pinnacle Extended Warranty would not cover this. They are checking with BMW to see if they will partially cover (probably one half) a new box and latch. Extimated price of box is $800. Bike came off factory warranty last November and odometer is approx. 30,000 miles. I wonder if this is worth it or just use the money towards the Millenhaus latch? Anyone have experience with Millenhaus latch and how hard is it install? Thanks. John Hieronymus

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
In Defense of Dremel

riderup1 said:
The dremel tool will take the material off, but it leaves too rough of a surface to not wreck the pins or cause excessive drag.
It's not the dremel tool that makes it rough - it's what you use IN the dremel tool. Mine polished it to a mirror finish - just have to use more bits than what comes with the basic kit.;)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
riderup1 said:
The dremel tool will take the material off, but it leaves too rough of a surface to not wreck the pins or cause excessive drag. ------.
That depends totally on what tool you are using in the Dremel! I have done a lot of work with them, and if you use a fine grain grinding point for finishing you can get a much smoother finish than the stamped stock finish.

I would use a carbide tool for roughing, then a fine grinding point for finishing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
OH yea...I forgot to tell you....after using the file on the claw I used 600 grit wet sandpaper on a paintstick with oil on it to polish it to a smooooooooth finish!

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Rayanbetty said:
:) I took the latch off and tig welded it with a 1/16 4043 aluminum rod , there is room to build it up on the inside.
Ray
This thread is 18 months old. I'm guessin' he's got it fixed by now...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts