BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 118000 miles, I can say my 02 LT has never left me stuck on the side of the road.

I am not saying things have never broken or never had to be replaced.

I still feel confident to get on the bike and ride anywhere and know it will get me back.

I thank current and past members who have become good friends in helping me learn about the bike and it's little quirks.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
It is a GREAT feeling to know that all you need to do is check the oil & tires. Then point the big girl in any direction & twist the throttle. :bike:

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
katnapinn said:
It is a GREAT feeling to know that all you need to do is check the oil & tires. Then point the big girl in any direction & twist the throttle. :bike:

+1 from a non mechanic like me!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
sheldan2 said:
In 118000 miles, I can say my 02 LT has never left me stuck on the side of the road.

I am not saying things have never broken or never had to be replaced.

I still feel confident to get on the bike and ride anywhere and know it will get me back.

I thank current and past members who have become good friends in helping me learn about the bike and it's little quirks.
are you saying your bike has never broke down on the road and left you stranded as a result, or are you saying even though it might have broke down on the road, you were able to get it going again, thereby preventing you from being stranded (when I say stranded, I mean having to get it towed). :confused:

Either way, that's a really good testament. :bmw:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am at 10% of your happiness. I have approx 11.8K miles on mine since I got it last year.

Every time I am happier while riding it and reaching my destination than I was at the beginning of my ride. :dance:

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
The K1200LT was the second best bike I've ever owned.... 8 trouble free years and 50,000 miles.

I'm presently riding the best!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bikerj said:
are you saying your bike has never broke down on the road and left you stranded as a result, or are you saying even though it might have broke down on the road, you were able to get it going again, thereby preventing you from being stranded (when I say stranded, I mean having to get it towed). :confused:

Either way, that's a really good testament. :bmw:

I did take the plastic off one time in a hotel parking lot, pulled up, got off and noticed a puddle and strong gas smell. Broken qd. Called Pastor Jack Homesley who was in the area, he went to a local parts store and together we replaced the plastic qd,s with a pair of brass connectors and got it back together in an hour.

But no never had to get towed.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
the SO & i just returned from a 2300 trip, with a cracked QD for the last 1100 miles. Leaked about 1/4 gal per fill up. The old girl hasn't left me stranded yet. 49,645 Smiles so far. :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
hornblower said:
the SO & i just returned from a 2300 trip, with a cracked QD for the last 1100 miles. Leaked about 1/4 gal per fill up. The old girl hasn't left me stranded yet. 49,645 Smiles so far. :)
I'll have to look to see what you all are calling quick disconnects. It sounds similar to what's being used on various lines in the engine compartment for the military's MRAPs, but these are made our of aluminum and steel, so while they might crap out internally, they don't break.

If these quick disconnects are similar to what's used on a lot of fuel systems on cars and light trucks, I'd be inclined to say the term is an oxymoron because I've had more experiences than I care to remember wrestling with these in an effort to get them "quickly disconnected", even w/ the special tool that is usually required. :wtf:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
bikerj said:
I'll have to look to see what you all are calling quick disconnects. It sounds similar to what's being used on various lines in the engine compartment for the military's MRAPs, but these are made our of aluminum and steel, so while they might crap out internally, they don't break.

If these quick disconnects are similar to what's used on a lot of fuel systems on cars and light trucks, I'd be inclined to say the term is an oxymoron because I've had more experiences than I care to remember wrestling with these in an effort to get them "quickly disconnected", even w/ the special tool that is usually required. :wtf:
THESE are quick disconnects, albeit not the crappy plastic ones that BMW used on the LT but rather the replacement ones many of us use as replacements. No tool needed to d/c.

·
Registered
498 Posts
katnapinn said:
I would love to ride more, however, due to the overwhelming amount of farkelization available for Roxy, I keep stripping her down to add more stuff! When will it end! :histerica

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
deputy5211 said:
THESE are quick disconnects, albeit not the crappy plastic ones that BMW used on the LT but rather the replacement ones many of us use as replacements. No tool needed to d/c.
Thanks Tony for the heads up. The Jiffy QDs are very similar in design to what's being used in our military's applications. I'll have to bookmark that link for future reference. :toast:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Jeff, unless your 99 is different than mine, we don't have quick disconnects on ours like other years. The tank comes off pretty easy without having them on so why ask for trouble putting them on.

Marty :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Why would using the Brass QDs be asking for trouble?

It seems to me that using the (non-OEM) QDs reduce risk of trouble by providing a durable and secure way to attach/detach the fuel lines when removing the tank. Seems better than grabbing and sliding the fuel line off and on.

$.02... YMMV

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
MartyBlok said:
Jeff, unless your 99 is different than mine, we don't have quick disconnects on ours like other years. The tank comes off pretty easy without having them on so why ask for trouble putting them on.

I'd be the first to preach if it ain't broke, then don't fix it.
My LT is a new experience, so I haven't had the need to delve into these R&R procedures. Good Lord willing, and the creek don't rise, I'll have years of trouble free motoring experiences like our buddy Dan in Tampa. :bike:

That being said, however, if and when the need arises, I'm all for making reasonably priced modifications, which will make subsequent procedures more mechanic friendly. :bmw:

If these QDs are what I'm thinking, they have spring loaded valves in the male ends and some kind of orifice on female ends to keep fluids from leaking/flowing when disconnected. This could make such jobs as tank removal less messy, which I think is what Tony is mentioning.

Thanks though Marty for pointing out this difference. I've received at least a double dose of enlightenment today. :clapping:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
BTW, Marty I noticed you're from Holland, MI. I see that's just NW of Kalamazoo. I've had some really good experiences from people in the great state of Michigan. Worked in Iraq w/ a couple of really good guys from there. I bought my HD wideglide from a guy up North of Lansing, and I just purchased one of those ZZ trailers from another last month in Kalamazoo.
Can't wait to pick that up. :yeah:

Of course, one of my favorite rockers, Uncle Ted is from your neck of the woods, and he's now a fellow Texan. :cool:

Don't be such a stranger here. :wave

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad to hear such good stories about the reliability of the ole girl. I just got mine,a 2006 in the end of March, so far she has been wonderful, been on 2 trips and 2, 000 miles only to So. Ca. and to Yosemite Park. A handful at slow speeds and parking lots but, once on the road nothing better. What source does anyone have for the good quality QD's. I should look I may have them on mine already. Thanks to everyone for the information on this site. Many of us would not be able to own such a great bike if it were not for the information from this group. My wife has given her a name (Shao Long Neu) Mandarin for Little Dragon Lady :bmw: Loves riding her as much as I do. :bmw: :wave

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
You want the QD's so that you don't need to worry about fuel spilling out whenever you remove your tank. I installed the original BMW QD's on my '00 LT soon after I bought it in 2000. Then years later had an incident with the plastic male cracking, so installed metal QD's. The ones that Beemerboneyard sell are great and affordable!

John
MartyBlok said:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts