BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
We just purchased a new to us 2015 BMW GTL Exclusive and it's one ultra fine motorcycle. It's on immaculate shape. The previous owner took very, very nice care of it. In learning all the systems of this bike, the wife and I are having an issue with the ability for and I-pod to play on the bikes comm and radio system(s). The I-pod is a mini and is around 4-5 years old. The bike is as stated, a 2015. So, I figure the technologies of both the bike and the I-pod should be able to play nicely together.

Well, such is not the case. As you all know, the little side case opens up to reveal a good sized plug on it that incorperates both a 3.5mm jack and a USB plug. If we plug the 3.5mm jack into the recepticle, and plug the other end into my I-pod, then hit the SOURCE button where the radio controls are, the unit will play. But, we have no info on the screen and no ability to control the I-pod from the dash.

If we plug into the USB port in that pocket, with a known, well working cord and, into the I-pod, the screen simply states "No USB" .... We have read the manual several times and have changed cords. So far, nothings working. The Audio manual seems to be fairly clear in what needs to be done in this scenario. And, we've followed each and every detail but, to no avail. A bit frustrating to say the least. Can someone help here? The book does say something about an "adapter" available from your local BMW dealer. If any of you know, what is that adapter?
Scott

·
Cat Herder
1,548 Posts

You need one of these, depending on which connector you need

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey TVguy,
I most certainly appreciate you're getting back to me here. Yep, along with your advice and, some diligent research by the CEO, it looks like we do need that adapter cable. The wife ordered one up from Amazon so, hopefully it will work. If not, I might have to pony up for the BMW one. We'll know by Thursday. I do have maybe another question for you. I don't know if you can help on this one but, when I try and pair my phone to the factory GPS the screen on the GPS says: "Phone call support has been disabled, connect blue tooth headset or, automotive mount". The bike will pair with my phone and play music either from my phone or the bikes radio. But, the GPS isn't having any. Got any ideas?
Scott

·
Registered
228 Posts
You need to have a headset paired to your phone and paired to the GPS in order to get phone support from the GPS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to have a headset paired to your phone and paired to the GPS in order to get phone support from the GPS.
Hey Rambler258,
I appreciate the heads up on how to work my system. I tried it and it worked, yahoooooo! I still cannot control my music that's being played on I-phone with my GPS on the bike. But, I've done further research and have found out, that not only can I not control it with my BMW Motorade Garmin Navigator V, the same scenario happens on the Motorade Navigator VI too.
Yet, I have a 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT that I have installed a new Garmin Zumo XT and that unit is a great unit. IT WILL control my phone music and to lots of other things too. But, for some odd reason, BMW AND Garmin can't figure out how to make the Navigator series be as innovative as the Zumo series. Hmmmm. Oh well, I'll survive.
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts