BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 LT.
I've recently developed a problem whereby I have trouble putting it into 1st gear after sitting for a while. Each time I start up I attempt to put it into gear. The gear shift lever moves easily, but with no engagement into gear. If I make continued attempts it eventually engages.
Once engaged ,as seems well. All other gears engage correctly and I can even get back into 1st gear without trouble.

Can anyone help

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yeah, They all do that..

Just feather the clutch a little while you're trying to shift into first and it'll snick in...

John

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's just so automatic now that I don't even think about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...everyone has the same problem ?

Has anyone looked into the actual cause ?
Is there a fix ?
I'll certainly try the feather thing though.

Thanks for all the quick responses

D U

·
Registered
656 Posts
09 same thing same solution though it doesn't do it all the time.

durq said:

Is there a fix ?

D U

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think it is so with BMW-gearbox. Or maybe we all got a failure :histerica

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Any manual transmission can be difficult to shift into first gear, especially when it is started with the clutch in. When you pull the clutch lever with the engine running the gears coast for a short time which allows a smooth shift. Once they stop moving the shift dogs can be misaligned, so moving into first gear becomes a problem. I know it sounds odd, but the gears turning are what makes it drop into first gear smoothly so either feather it or release, pull, and try again. Whatever you do, don't "stomp" on it. Stomping will work, but will eventually reveal the weakest link in the system. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Is there a fix ?

D U

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's not a problem. If you could see the dogs you would understand that they have fairly large flat surfaces that must be rotating at different speeds so that one can latch into the other.

·
Registered
368 Posts
durq said:

Is there a fix ?
Double post :)

Dean has given you the correct answer.

The gears need to spin and be in synch with the engine for a smooth shifting. If the gears are totally still, the dog-teeth might not find the alignment to couple the gears with the engine.

This is because motorbike's sequential transmissions often incorporate a synchro-less dog-clutch engagement mechanism (as opposed to the synchromesh dog clutch common on H-pattern automotive transmissions, which is bringing the gears up to speed using the synchronizers during the shift).

Why is the problem happening when the bike is sitting for a while, and not when the engine is already warm? I believe that - on a cold, long-sitting engine - the oil has a greater viscosity and it's "holding" the gears still. Unless you feather the clutch of course, so that the gears start moving.

Starting the engine with the clutch dis-engaged might help. So does starting the bike and letting the engine idle for a minute before putting in first gear.

I've had this with any bike I owned. On some bikes (lighter than the LT!!) I used to roll the bike forward a little bit during the shifting, to let it find the synchronisation better.

·
Registered
989 Posts
durq said:
...everyone has the same problem ?...
As others wrote - not a problem.
That is how it works.

If you had a car with non-synchro first gear, you'd also be spinning up the gearbox to get it engaged.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll chime in too. My '00 LT and '05 GS both do this. I really don't think you have a problem.

Feathering the clutch, quickly pulling in and releasing the clutch, rocking the bike back and forth to get it into gear in my opinion is normal operating procedure. My experience is that my shaft drive bikes have always exhibited the behavior more so than the chain drives (BMW or otherwise).

·
Registered
214 Posts
+1 (they all seem to do it)

My 99 and the 05 LT sometimes does it - especially when the trans is cold. At first I just pressed harder until I found out (here) to pull the clutch in and pre-load the shifter down and let it out a tad (slight friction zone) and "snick!" she goes in gear. At least I think that's how it goes, I just do it without thinking! :p

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Put it into gear as soon as you pull in the clutch. That way it's trying to shift before everything stops turning and it can mesh.............. ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was wondering how long the original poster is riding his LT and why has he wrote "I've recently developed a problem"

We're all assuming that the behaviour is the "normal" one of each bike, but maybe he's facing something havier than that.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Corrado68 said:
I was wondering how long the original poster is riding his LT and why has he wrote "I've recently developed a problem"

We're all assuming that the behaviour is the "normal" one of each bike, but maybe he's facing something havier than that.
Yeah, I wondered that too. Has something really changed, or is he just discovering that sometimes depending on where the gears come to a stop in the tranny? The gears need to be spun a little to get them to mesh depending on where they have stopped.
Kinda like a slot machine where things line up "wrong" some of the time. ;)

I wondered if his linkage was going or something, but decided he probably has just discovered this "feature". All the above posts about gear teeth needing to be aligned are correct. Everyonce in a while the gears will come to a stop in a position that prevents engagment, and the gears will have to be spun a little to get them to engage.
This isn't true only for first gear, it just that we only notice it in first because we are stopped and the tranny is at a standstill.
Witness, if you put the bike on the centerstand with the bike not running. Try shifting through the gears from 1st to 5th. You won't generally get very far without either starting the bike or manually spinning the rear wheel.
It is pretty fundamental which is why several folks are seemingly a little perplexed by the orignial post.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts