BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of my son came by today, He just purchased a Triumph Speed Triple. He handed me the keys and said Take her around the block. I have not been a big fan of Sport Bikes because of the riding position.
I just couldn't resist, So I took her for a spin. I returned with the biggest grin it just wouldn't go away. I have been totaly happy with my LT but with half the weight and more HP, Well lets just say FAST.
Joe keeps defending the sport bikes, I must say my attitude has changed, Don't know that I'll run out and buy one, but it was fun. I don't see Touring on one either, but that's not what it's for.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Once in a while I will take my son's SV650 just to handle something that is half the weight of the LT...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Only two things I miss on the LT is the lean angles I could achieve on my Blackbird and that addictive whoosh of acceleration - it was like lighting the afterburners.......

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
i LOVE my sprint ... i think the triumph triple is just about the perfect motorcycle engine. torquey yet strong in the mid/top. i always prefer commuting on the triumph over the LT. it's like the difference between a scalpel and a sledge hammer.

but when it comes time for longer trip, or when the weather is cold, the LT gets the nod.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I regularly ride either my 83 XJ 900 or the Queen Bs St 1100 for fixes of handling and acceleration.

The restore of the XJ is coming along slowing. Just bagged a full set of decals for her on ebay, so the next step is paint. About $300 at the local shop. I'm looking for an every day bike, not a concours restoration.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have an '05 Speed Triple and it's the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle, period. It handles incredibly, accelerates so hard you can hear your eyeballs rebound off the back of your skull, wheelies so well that they use them at Keith Code's wheelie school and draws a pretty good sized crowd everytime I stop to take a break. It's also won numerous "bike of the year" awards in the US and abroad. It is a great addition to my LT, but it could never replace it. There's not really any underseat storage, no tie down points, the pillion seating position is mostly for show and it's made for shorter distances. After awhile the wind blast, sport bike position and seat will wear you out. I do agree with the above comments about the triple cylinder configuration. Rumor has it, and I've even seen a photo, that a touring version of the Rocket III will be available in 2007. Triumph is on the right track. The 2006 Daytona 675 will probably be an huge success.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts