·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some photos:

·
Registered
100 Posts
10K mile maintenance periods sure sound good. They even copied the same crappy mirror design! If the best Triumph can come up with is a RT clone I think the new 2014 RT will blow it away.

·
Registered
391 Posts
wvpc said:
10K mile maintenance periods sure sound good. They even copied the same crappy mirror design! If the best Triumph can come up with is a RT clone I think the new 2014 RT will blow it away.
At the risk of sounding like a past, present, and future Triumph owner, and also a proud BMW owner of some years:::No way in hell will a boxer twin blow off that Triumph triple!
Let the hell begin to be raised.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm gonna test ride one when one is in my local dealers for sure.
Always wanted a big Triumph triple, but nothing in the line took my fancy for every day use.
This ticks a lot of boxes, owning a 2007 RT12, it's not surprising.
\v/

·
Registered
558 Posts
I thought about trading my LT in on the new Trophy but they waited too long to bring it out. At the price it will be I would have passed on it anyway. I did better getting a leftover ST. I sure did like the original Trophy's triple motor. I will try to test ride the new one to see if it is as nice as the old one, but I won't be buying one.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I saw pics of the Trophy last night, after committing to a 12 RT yesterday afternoon. I do love the triple, and bet it will be a great bike, but I bought the RT today, anyway, and won't look back. My BMW dealer is also a Triumph dealer, but they keep the respective makes separated. The Explorer 1200 isn't siting anywhere close to the GS and GSA models. Bet the RT's and1600's will not be close to the Trophy's either.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'd take that Triumph triple and trans over the boxer set up any day.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Ok, I'm curious. For you guys who own or have ridden one of those Triumph Triples, what are they like? I've always liked the Triumph motorcycle brand since way back in the early 60's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What I meant to say in my response is that the total package of the new RT should blow away the Trophy SE. A few tenths to 0-100 ain't enough to convince me of the Trophy's competence. Yes, it looks does look enticing and a test ride is the only way to find out. But I don't think the Triumph will out do the RT, as the best overall sport tourer, for the price on the planet. The new RT should handle better with less mass and lower curb weight than the Trophy. The future WC boxer should have more torque than SE. I don't see where Triumph has moved the bar higher except in hp and service intervals. The design of their fairing is a knockoff and breaks no new ground. In comfort the RT rules except for maybe the seat. While nobody races these large sport touring bikes lets see what the law enforcement agencies wind up issuing to their troopers. In that category the current RT oerall blows everything into the weeds except for the Kaw in acceleration. I expect the new RT to raise the bar substantially over the old RT and the new Trophy SE. Its the total package to me.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
1964Hall said:
I'm gonna test ride one when one is in my local dealers for sure.
Always wanted a big Triumph triple, but nothing in the line took my fancy for every day use.
This ticks a lot of boxes, owning a 2007 RT12, it's not surprising.
\v/
+1, absolutely. I've never owned an RT but I've ridden several (demo rides and multi-day service loaners). My local BMW dealer also sells Triumphs, so the opportunity will be there.

And the major service interval on the new Trophy is 20,000 miles.

I have no problem with Triumph copying features from the RT or wherever. It's competition, and in the end we all win. :) All the bells and whistles on the new Trophy are what I would want anyway.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I may be just a little biased since I own two of the Triumph triples, but I absolutely love them! One is a '95 Tiger which is 885cc and the other is my brand new (2012) Tiger 800XC, which is only 800cc but will run circles around the older one. I actually have a set of SuperTrap mufflers on the '95 and the sound of that 3 into 2 is just intoxicating to my ears! I sit at the lights and act like I'm on one of those V Twins that like to blip the throttle just to hear the sound. Cause I do!

I can't really do the comparison between the triple and the boxer since I have not really done any time on the boxers.

Joh
Razmataz said:
Ok, I'm curious. For you guys who own or have ridden one of those Triumph Triples, what are they like? I've always liked the Triumph motorcycle brand since way back in the early 60's.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
I may be just a little biased since I own two of the Triumph triples, but I absolutely love them! One is a '95 Tiger which is 885cc and the other is my brand new (2012) Tiger 800XC, which is only 800cc but will run circles around the older one. I actually have a set of SuperTrap mufflers on the '95 and the sound of that 3 into 2 is just intoxicating to my ears! I sit at the lights and act like I'm on one of those V Twins that like to blip the throttle just to hear the sound. Cause I do!

I can't really do the comparison between the triple and the boxer since I have not really done any time on the boxers.

Joh
You are an honest man AlaskaFish

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I would say that the worth of the Triumph is a moot point until ridden. Having said that, I find it VERY appealing. I've only test ridden the RT and the Tiger once each and like the Tiger much better (for me). And I've said before that when the wife no longer rides, I want something faster and sportier than the LT. Pending a test ride, this looks like it might fill the bill.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The look is very similar and if they price it right (like almost any other comparable motorcycle), they'll likely give BMW a run for their money. For instance, compare a new Kawasaki Concours to the 1600GT...add a cruise control to the Connie and you have a real steal. Don't get me wrong, I'm fond of my 2010 RT and won't be rushing to my dealer to trade up but BMW will never be labled a bargain. The other issue I think that's rearing it's ugly head is the reliability issues that have plagued BMW lately. It's getting harder and harder to justify the lofty prices at :bmw:

Not only do BMW's just cost thousands more than other comparable bikes but then you're expected to pay considerably more to maintain them. My local dealer just raised their shop labor rates to well over $100.00 per hour.

I think a little competition is healthy for the industry and the latest bikes from Triumph are impressive. I'm looking forward to a test ride on the new Trophy!

·
Registered
353 Posts
The only thing I'm puzzled by with the new Trophy is;

A lucious British racing green with nice white accents might sway me :D

Not so sure about the colors they're sporting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts