BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning my retirement trip , would like to go from Dieppe NB to Vancouver, then follow the Pacific coast to Malibu CA, come back up through the Grand Canyon area to east coast.
Has anyone done this trip, should I go the opposite way around, Grand Canyon, up Pacific Coast.
Trip is planned for next August probably 4-6 week ride...please give me your input...

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Can't say much about the far west or NW, but if you are going by the Grand Canyon, then you should also allow time for Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park in Utah. I have not gone to Zion, but when returning from CCR 2008 in Midway UT, I stopped by Bryce and the GC. While the GC is breathtakingly huge, I was actually more impressed with all of the formations at Bryce.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Keon said:
Planning my retirement trip , would like to go from Dieppe NB to Vancouver, then follow the Pacific coast to Malibu CA, come back up through the Grand Canyon area to east coast.
Has anyone done this trip, should I go the opposite way around, Grand Canyon, up Pacific Coast.
Trip is planned for next August probably 4-6 week ride...please give me your input...
Did the Vegas / Grand Canyon / Arizona trip a few years ago. I would suggest that you don't do it in August. The temps are in the 115f range when we were there. It was so hot that we couldn't stop to see much senery, even riding was hot. We wondered why there weren't other bikes on the road, we deduced that they were all in A/C cars.

Garry

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I live in Alberta, and have done the PCH to San Diego and over through the Grand Canyon. I would suggest a number of must sees along the way would be Crater Lake, Zion, Bryce, Napa Valley (wine), Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Arches National Park,
Canyonlands National Park, Monument Valley,Muir Woods (Redwoods), Death Valley, Mesa Verde, Lake Louise, Peyto Lake, San Simeon, Okanagan Valley (great wines), Tofino/Long Beach. I have been to everyone of them. As you can tell I like National Parks and wine (not necessarily in that order).

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Definitely go across to Vancouver and work your way south along the coast. The desert will still be hot in September, but less so than in August.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
it will be a great trip. Leave mid August and go across Canada first because it will be cooler for the most part. The NW and the coast hwy to Ca Will also be cool. By the time you get to the hot areas it will be well into Sept and it will be not to hot. I also agree with all the above suggestions.All great places.

·
Registered
444 Posts
garry_kramer said:
Did the Vegas / Grand Canyon / Arizona trip a few years ago. I would suggest that you don't do it in August. The temps are in the 115f range when we were there. It was so hot that we couldn't stop to see much senery, even riding was hot. We wondered why there weren't other bikes on the road, we deduced that they were all in A/C cars.

Garry
+1 Miserable riding in this type of heat. Nothing like it in New Brunswick!
I would advise adjusting your dates, if possible for down south.

·
Registered
478 Posts
just completed ride up from santa cruze california to vancouver on historic highway 101
you will not regret it , beautiful
there are several cool ways to get to vancouver from alberta southern route 3 scenic & twisty
if comeing hwy 1 you can divert at kamloops & go the back way & go through wistler
very pretty

·
Registered
392 Posts
I live on the Oregon coast, so if you are passing thru, e-mail me & we can hoist 1 or 6. Been to the Grand Canyon several times, both south & north rims. If you want the canyon the way it was meant to be viewed, go to the north rim. There is 1 motel, + the grand lodge with 1930's era cabins to rent. Make reservations well in advance, like 9-12 months. The south rim is over developed with fast food, motels etc. Do take the mule ride, it is a blast. Also beware of the heat, it can mess up your day.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I am extremely envious. I was going to do this trip in reverse back in 1974 when I was working in Alberta. I had a 1972 R-75-5 BM, and me and a couple of buddies of mine were going to come back east via a similar route, although back then we had dreams of going into Mexico and maybe coming back up the eastern seaboard. Well, the job went long and it turned into December before I was able to leave. My trip east was in a continental wide snow storm (followed me from Alberta to New Brunswick), with my bike {and snowmobile} being towed on a trailer. Met my buddies in Newfoundland for a New Year's party (can you believe we were storm-stayed on the Rock for 12 days) .....still dreaming about that trip, maybe when I get to retire. Good luck on your trip, it will be one to remember for sure, eh!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
From Kamloops, go north to Cache Creak and down to Whistler and on to Vancouver. I did that run this summer and I think it was some of the best riding I have ever done!
Southern interior of US will be very hot. Did the mid USA on my way back. Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, very hot. It was late July.
The New England states are a real treat! I would also suggest West Virginia if time permits. Lots of hills and turns. Also lots of deer!!
Enjoy your ride.
Kelly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts