BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellows riders from NorthCal.
The wife and I are planing a 4 days weekend trip to the north/central coast during the winter time and I was wondering if it can be done at in January or February. My major concern would be snow and heavy rain since we are planing to camp every night.

There is a map of our planned trip and also here are the roads we are think:
Leaving SF north on Hwy 1 up to Sea Ranch, there cut across to 101 and back to SF.

Also, I will accept comments on places to go/see on that route and also I can go a little further north if there is any good thing to see/ride there :)

Thank you for your help and on a need for tips on Souther Cal, just drop a line

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
As a Northern california native & an avid scuba diver, the north coast that time of year is pretty rough ( Sea wise ) But the BIG wave action is a sight to behold in itself !

As far as weather go's, Janurary is pretty wet on the north coast, so your trip going well is VERY weather sensitive IMHO.

If you get lucky and miss any rain, you will have a trip your not going to forget any time soon .... Simply AWSOME country !!!

A trip I do with my wife pulling our trailer & camping at least once every season.

FWIW. As a diver of those waters, an issue you come to know when going there (Any time of year) You NEVER know what it will be like, Beauty like this is our north coast and worth it EVERY TIME, no matter what mother nature throws at ya.

Have a GREAT time.

Regards.
Scott

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Weather on the rocks

If it's not raining, it may well be dank and foggy along the coast with very low visibility at times. If you happen to hit a couple of clears days, it will be spectacular! However, you can still expect it to be downright nippy in the morning either way. You might want to spring for a quaint, seaside motel with a fireplace and hot tub while staying along the northern coast. ;)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
What are your plans for the other 3 days?

Expand your loop or if foggy head inland and visit the foothill gold country, altho the valley can be socked in for the month of January, usually sunny above 1500 feet elevation.

Go for it regardless of weather and if you need a dry place to stay for a night or run into trouble let me know and us Nor-Cal's will try to help.

Doug Holck
209/7476453

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug,
I'm counting one day to get there, one day to came back home (500miles x 2).
So it will give me 2 days to explore the area from San Francisco and back.
I'm not sure how far north can I go in one day w/o killing some nice stops.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I ride the north coast area daily from Santa Rosa to Ukiah. Our rainiest months are usually February-March...but January can be as well. The funny thing is the best weather on the coast is usually October thru January, as far as fog and wind goes. That's not to say it can't get nasty, but I think I've seen more bluebird days in January than in late spring.
The ride from SF up the coast is an easy 2 day ride. My suggestion would be to travel up hwy 1 to Fort Bragg, (stop in Gualala for lunch at the Irish Sports Bar and get the Salmon Fish and chips, yummy), see the town of Mendocino, etc.. If the weather is good, you can then take the trip up the coast cutting over to Leggett on hwy 101. A short jaunt north on 101 puts you at the Avenue of the Giants. The largest Redwood Trees you'll ever see. From there back to SF is an easy 4 hours on some great sweeping highway.
It is a beautiful area.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Or

If it's all rainy north of SF, check it out south to Santa Cruz, Monterey and Big Sur. There are several ways over hills inland and the way back might include Pinnacles and then north to Livermore area. Do able in two days; no problem.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
You should have no snow at all, but you may get some rain. Some places to check out are Fort Ross (interesting history), Bodega Bay, Point Reyes National Seashore, and the Marin Headlands on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge. FOr a good place to eat on the coast, about 8 miles north of Poitn Reyes Station is a place called Tony's Seafood Restaurant. Their specialty is BBQ'd oysters, but they have really good seafood of all types, especially the clam chowder. They are only oopne Friday - Sunday and the sometimes close during the holidays, but if they're open give them a try.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Dang

DavidTaylor said:
You should have no snow at all, but you may get some rain. Some places to check out are Fort Ross (interesting history), Bodega Bay, Point Reyes National Seashore, and the Marin Headlands on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge. FOr a good place to eat on the coast, about 8 miles north of Poitn Reyes Station is a place called Tony's Seafood Restaurant. Their specialty is BBQ'd oysters, but they have really good seafood of all types, especially the clam chowder. They are only oopne Friday - Sunday and the sometimes close during the holidays, but if they're open give them a try.
Next time Connie and I are out that way David, you're gonna have to show us a couple of these places to eat. I'm hungry just reading about them this morning.:D

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Let's Graze!!

Steve_R said:
Next time Connie and I are out that way David, you're gonna have to show us a couple of these places to eat. I'm hungry just reading about them this morning.:D
Hi Steve - Absolutely, you say when and we'll go! Give me a little heads up and I'll even try to take a few days off and go riding around with you. Yes, I know, I really put myself out for my friends. ;) :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts