BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm starting to plan a few of my 2015 rides and one place I have always wanted to see is Orcas Island off of Washington State. If anyone has ever visited there, I would appreciate any tips you can give me.

One big question is on the ferry ride over. Is there anything special I need to do such as strap the bike down or is it pretty smooth and I can just leave it on the side or center stand?

Also, what month would you recommend? Anything special to see or do while there? I will be tent camping if it is a solo trip, but if my wife is able to travel with me then it will be a hotel or bed and breakfast.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Chris
Washougal, WA

·
Registered
41 Posts
Chris,

My wife and I have made that trip several times and always look forward to the next opportunity. It's a great ride.

The ferry ride is a piece of cake as mc's are loaded and unloaded first (very nice). You simply put down your kick stand and walk away. I will say that if you take an early boat, be ready for the potential of a very slick deck. I have never gone down but came close one on trip.

Friday Harbor is a must see and ifvyoucare looking for a fun place to stay, I suggest the Bird Rock Hotel.

Have fun!

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you want the low-down on the Island, look up Alpine Truck Sales on Google, its in Graham Wa. Ask for the owner Ed Sr. He owns a Bus and rental car business on the Island (only one). He loves to talk and has been doing this for at least 8 years. Being winter, he should be around, but is semi-retired so you may have to call back.
Or go here and call this number: http://www.orcasislandshuttle.com/ Ask for Ed. You may get Jr. or Sr.
If anyone knows the secrets of the Island, it is them. You can tell them Scott referred you, old friends.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Chris,

My wife and I have made that trip several times and always look forward to the next opportunity. It's a great ride.

The ferry ride is a piece of cake as mc's are loaded and unloaded first (very nice). You simply put down your kick stand and walk away. I will say that if you take an early boat, be ready for the potential of a very slick deck. I have never gone down but came close one on trip.

Friday Harbor is a must see and ifvyoucare looking for a fun place to stay, I suggest the Bird Rock Hotel.

Have fun!
+1 on the Bird Rock Hotel. Great place to stay and walking distance to restaurants, so you can have the extra glass of wine. :D

·
Registered
593 Posts
I lived on Orcas for 5 years. Do NOT set your alarm on the ferry, if the weather is good then the water will be flat and your bike should be fine. Definitely ride up to the top of Mount Constitution. If you are camping cascade lake spots 1-12 (i think) are the best on the island. If the camp ground is full ask for spot number 2, I know they keep that one open for locals and such;) camp spots at Mountain lake would be my second choice. make a reservation for the ferry!! that is something they just started but with the bike you should be good. any other questions feel free to PM me. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts