BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen much talk about trikes or any problems on here yet. Just wonder how many trike owners are out there and what conversions they have. I haven't had mine long enough to have any problems yet. Just getting lonely in the trike talk area I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Hey Bud..........................
I'm here !!!!!
2003 hannigan trike............................LOVE IT !!!!!!!!
We shipped the bike to Hannigan, flew down for their 30th anniversary party and rode back.......
Problems ??? well, I had to replace a cracked exhaust header, and i chose remus for the quality. It was a PIA to get it installed and customized to fit the little spot in the back that it's supposed to come through.....but done....................
It was a little louder than I wanted but got a tip from this site and quieted it down.............
Someday I'll prolly go back to the stock silencer on the Remus header..............
The important thing is that Karen is comfortable and happy with the trike and asks to go for a ride.............................................................................
HA !!! When the wife's happy, everyone's happy

·
Registered
133 Posts
triking problem

Just picked up ours from Hannigan and we, too, love it. Had to get used to leaning a litttle and bracing with the opposite leg so as not to feel as is we were going to be thrown off the bike.

Only problem I have is that in any sharp curve the ABS lights begin the blink as if the system is malfunctioning. Jim at Hannigan thought he had adjusted it into not doing this, but it started agains the day after we returned and took it out of the trailer for the first run. I will be talking to Jim seeing if there is a way I can adjust the system's senativity - me being a lawyer and not even a shadow of a mechanic. Perhaps a walkthur together with pics will allow me to do it. It would be a long 10 hr one way trip to the factory to get it fixed otherwise.

Lastly, I do believe we need a separate forum for triking. The population (of motorcycleist, as well, is getting older and I suspect a great increase in trikers. We joined the trikers international and recieve mag. - interesting stuff. www.trikers.org They have some nice rallies, trikes only, coming up.

Bruce - central La. '99 1200ltc now 06 trike.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
allen said:
We joined the trikers international and recieve mag. - interesting stuff. www.trikers.org They have some nice rallies, trikes only, coming up.
Another great trike organization it the Brotherhood of the Third Wheel. You can find them here. I have been a member of the BTW for going on four years. I was on a VW Trike, not a conversion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Trike

I had my 2003 converted in Sept last year. I am very happy with it already done 7,000 miles since converted. I plan on going to Americade and BMW rally in Vermont. and would like to do a trike rally also but will have to see.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Allen

That ABS light problem sounds like a real PITA...........
But 10 hour ride to Hannigan sounds good................
(Prolly talk Dave into motel and dinner)
My hand brake needs adjusting, every time I start or turn cruise on, I have to push the brake lever forward first.....
Wish I could ride to kentucky to get it adjusted.........
Oh well...maybe after the pass thaws out......
(almost have karen convinced we need to ride to Maine this summer...Woooo-Hoooo! )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luxury Trike

"now LT stands for Luxury Trike" - I like that! Hadn't thought about that but its the best way to describe the bike now that its triked.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Trikers Unite.

:D
I ride my 05 Hannigan conversion every day to work. Well, not every day. Actually, I have this policy. It it's dry in the AM, I ride it. If it's raining, I go in the cage. I figure, one way in wet weather (rain or snow) is enough for one day.

I love my trike. My wife and I took it to Santa Fe and back (Denver area) last September. Planning on some trips to Texas (to see grandkids) in the spring.

Where to start.

Had to learn that the trike was wider than I thought. I've scuffed both fenders getting too close to others in parking lots. :eek:

The pump for getting fuel from aux tank to front seems to be really slow. Hannigan even sent me a replacement fuel pump and it's still slow. It seems to finally get it done, but takes 30 45 minutes, not twenty as the literature states. :(

The looks I get, (mostly appreciative ones) and the smiles, questions, etc are gratifying. Most can't believe it isn't stock from BMW. Hannigan designers really captured the essence of the LT. :D

As for other problems, there haven't been any. I did have one instance where the brake lights came on while riding, but I checked the rear brake fluid level and it was definitely low. Topped it off and it hasn't bugged me since. ;)

All in all, this has been one of the "funnest" expenditures I've ever made. Cost way too much, but I sure am having fun. And, my wife loves it too. That alone is worth the investment.

I have some pics posted on this site in the gallery and a trip report of the Santa Fe trip too.

I've joined the TRI as well and am considering the rally in Nevada. Not sure, but am also considering the CCR in GA. Lonnnngggg trip.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Running Boards

Hannigan now has running boards for our LT's if you are interested they cost $1,095.00 I am trying to get a picture as a guy on TRI has them and his wife loves them for the looks.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Running boards sound good....................................
I'm thinking that I need protection on the front of the rear fenders,
seems like I've seen wings with leather/nauga on theirs................
??

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
We're finalizing plans for mid August to ride from Oregon to Maine, eat a lobster, and back home by way of blue ridge parkway and South by the end of september................

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bag(s) for the Hannigan trike trunk

When it was just an Lt we had the Kathy's bags which fited the compartments perfectly, but we are having trouble finding bags that will fill the trunk space but still be easy to get in and out of the door to the trunk. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself. My name is Victoria - all my friends call me "Huggs". I'm very "new" to bike riding, so I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions!

I have wanted a trike for a very long time because of disability. I wasn't looking at BMW's - only Lehman conversions on Suzuki. Saving up pennies every chance I got. In February, a friend of mine saw a BMW K1200LT up in Fort Pierce at a consignment sale. It had a "voyager kit" on it.

I went to see it - and fell in love with the bike! Didn't quite like the idea of a voyager kit because I didn't think it would be as stable as a Lehman, but if it would get me on the road....

I had not ridden a motorcyle (2 wheel) since I was 28. Always the passenger since (I'm 51). I went to DMV, took the motorcycle written test - - and PASSED IT first time around without getting any questions wrong! Back to the motorcycle consignment shop, made an offer on the bike, and drove her home in less than 3 hours after taking the endorsement test. They gave me a few hints in the parking lot - and off I went!

Husband was surprised that I did all of this in one day without even asking him what he thought. When he saw the bike, he understood why I fell in love with this particular BMW.

She is a 99 and had just turned 20,000 miles when I purchased her. My bike and I have just celebrated our 5th month anniversary together, and 5,500 miles! Not too bad for a "newbie".

I would love to take a MSR Safety course. I have contacted my local program, and they don't have anything for trikes - or conversions. They told me I have to take the course on their supplied 250. I can not ride a 2-wheel and was wondering - - do any of you know of a trike course in FL that I can sign up for?

Yes, she is an anomaly with that voyager kit on her and as soon as the last cop in my area has finished inspecting her - - they actually get on their hands and knees to inspect her (it's really funny!) maybe I can get some uninterrupted riding time in!

I look forward to hearing from all of you!
~Huggs~

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Hey Huggs
Welcome and good on ya'
Seems somewhere I was reading about a trike course..........Hmmmmm...........
I'll have to think about that......
Some good books out on sidecar/trike.......
How does your bike steer with that kit on it ?
Seems like all trikes need the front fork angle changed to make them steer easier...don't know about voyager.......
Anyway ...hope to see ya' out there.

·
Registered
522 Posts
TwoTrike said:
Haven't seen much talk about trikes or any problems on here yet. Just wonder how many trike owners are out there and what conversions they have. I haven't had mine long enough to have any problems yet. Just getting lonely in the trike talk area I guess.
Hey guys,post some photos of your trikes. Your Avatar looks like a converted LT. Sweet!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, it steers - - like a trike! I do have to slow way down in round-abouts because if I go too fast one the "training wheels" will leave the pavement. I go around them in 2nd - (corners too) - before I get out of my neighborhood I have 3 of these monsters to contend with.

I have read up on trikes - and conversions. Been looking at trikes (Lehman) for almost 4 years.

I don't know if the front has been changed - I bought her used - so I really don't know. The gentleman who owned her left ALL of her papers - so I know that she was well taken care of, but don't recall any fork changes. When people see her, they can not believe that she is 7 years old already, she looks like a new bike!

I have modified the throttle control and a friend made a "hand-butt" for me. I had right shoulder replaced in January and still cannot "pull" on that side, but I can push now thanks to his "hand-butt" device. I will soon have left shoulder replaced so will need a "hand-butt" on that side too! I will only be able to push - - not push and pull - - to steer. Do you know what I mean?

But hey - I'm doing it - even though all the doctors said "NO, you can never ride again by yourself!" I figured I had the will, I just needed to find the way.

Gonna scoot - take a ride to the store. Talk later. And thanks for the welcome!

~Huggs~

·
Registered
189 Posts
Triker said:
:D
The pump for getting fuel from aux tank to front seems to be really slow. Hannigan even sent me a replacement fuel pump and it's still slow. It seems to finally get it done, but takes 30 45 minutes, not twenty as the literature states. :(
Update on the fuel pump from aux to front.
:D Thanks to Hannigan, I recently received a new model pump, installed it and now the process only takes about 22 minutes.:)

Seems the pressure on the front tank was too much to be overcome by the aux to front pump Hannigan initially was using. My 2005 apparently had more pressure than previous models. ??? Anyway, when the fuel light comes on, I switch on the pump, check the time and 20 minutes later I'm done.:)

The ONLY thing I'd like to see changed on the conversion is a wider, flat (as in automobile) tire for the front tire. 6K for a front tire is ridiculous for a vehicle that doesn't lean. Rubber is way too soft also. I've been looking, but have not found anything yet. Anyone else tried anything different for the front?:confused:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
A couple of years ago, I think I saw a Hannigan conversion of a R1150RT. You might to send them a email and ask if they are doing them.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts