BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to cutt off my fingers with a table saw today. According to my wife I was only partially successful because I was only able to shorten my right finger by about 1/2" . I guess I won't need to cut finger nails on that one finger any more.

What blows though is that I won't be able to ride for a while now.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Scary!

At least you weren't completely successful -- unlike my step-father, who ended up wacking three fingers with a circular saw and getting a medivac helo ride from NoVa to Johns-Hopkins in Baltimore to have the center finger reattached. He never could bend that finger afterwards, which made for some interesting hand signals at various times :D

Seriously -- I'm *really* glad to hear the damage was (relatively) modest. It will be a real PITA for a while, but at least you should have no significant disability. My step-father's hit pretty much ended his home improvement biz.

Heal quick!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Glad the damage was light. My brother had the end of his finger sewn back on. Another friend cut four fingers off. :cool:

Luckily, you'll be good to go by CCR!

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
News flash: After reading my post Karen corrected me in saying that I was completely successful in shortening my finger.

My argument that I was only trying to loose some weight was met with the statement that I should exercise instead.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Damn Andy !!

I guess since everyone else has shared their shortened finger (s) story, I'll leave mine till later.

Get well and get dem glasses fixed! or at least adjusted..... Can't wait for the rest of the story...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
:worthless

Here's what your (my) fingers look like after you stick them in a roll-former. Up until then, I had no idea how effective a torture technique pulling finger nails could be. And I had no idea how frickin' far up your fingers those nails go!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Andy,

happy to hear it wasn't any worse, but I know how it must hurt !! At least it wasn't your clutch hand. :p

Frank, those photos sent chills up my spine. :(

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Andy, but glad it wasn't more than it was.

·
Registered
36 Posts
DAMN..... You sure that wasn't a French Manicure?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
Ouch! Sorry Andy! :(

Must refrain from making silly jokes... Tough, very tough!!! :rolleyes:

Glad the damage was "limited". It could easily have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Dude!

Didn't you try with some toes a few years ago?

I lost2 1/2 fingers to a set of belts and pulleys many years ago. Stripped off the meat and left the bone. Hurt for a split second and went numb. A while later when the doctor went to cleaning it didn't feel so good either. Demerol helped a lot. A week later I was back to riding. Yes it was my clutch hand, Turned the whole assembly over and was able to work the clutch by pushing it rather than pulling it. Probably won't work with a hydraulic clutch.

Bet you won't do that again.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Left thumb for me in the hinge side of the penalty box door at the rink. Barely got to keep mine. As with most of us, did it to myself. Glad it was just the tip for you.

Saw a video once of a guy who lost about half of his index finger and for fun would pull up next to people in traffic and pretend to be picking his nose. Now that was funny.:rotf:

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I said I wouldn't, but I just can't help myself. A skydiving pilot buddy was using a planner without a guard a few years ago and accidentally evened out all of the fingers on his right hand.

Law suits are presently pending against the manufacture!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
DanDiver said:
-------------------------------------

Law suits are presently pending against the manufacture!
Now of course we do not know the whole story, so just WHY should the manufacturer be responsible here? It is a dangerous tool to use, and anyone using one should know that.

One HUGE problem in this country is extreme use of litigation to try and make someone else responsible for one's own actions. Unless the manufacturer was totally irresponsible in the design, a lawsuit seems out of line.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Real sorry to hear it, Andy. If you're going to keep on woodworking, you might want to put one of these new saws on your shopping list.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Guys, There is a new Table saw out that will not cut a finger, it stops when it touches flesh, most wood working stores have them.
A little more $$. but probably worth it.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
dshealey said:
Now of course we do not know the whole story, so just WHY should the manufacturer be responsible here? It is a dangerous tool to use, and anyone using one should know that.

One HUGE problem in this country is extreme use of litigation to try and make someone else responsible for one's own actions. Unless the manufacturer was totally irresponsible in the design, a lawsuit seems out of line.
This should really go to another thread if more wish to respond, but David, I agree with you completely. I'm not going to tell my friend what to do, since I wasn't asked, but I agree. He used it, knowing that the guard was either removed or was not in place, and is, in my opinion 100% responsible for what happened.

This is just like when I skydive. Regardless of the wavers, and there are a ton of them, some drop zones even have you video the waver, they get sued by family when there is an accident. Just jumping out of an airplane is not natural, and anyone doing it should not count on surviving with fabric,lines and a harness. Most people do survive, but if there is an accident, very few people were pushed or forced to jump! It was their choice. Just My Opinion!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Andy,

Sorry to hear of your accident. It is a real pain in the nether regions not to be able to ride, especially as you will really want to!

Hope you get healed quickly, without too many longer lasting effects (other than the experience kind!)

I will not share any stories of lost limbs, with you. Mainly because I haven't lost any yet.

Best regards
Sleuth

·
Registered
353 Posts
Many years ago while still in scouts one of our troop "cut" his finger off about halfway up in the V of a bushsaw while hanging it out of reach from the younger ones.
His dad was the quartermaster and everyone was just about to eat dinner (tinned tomatoes I remember) when he walked into the mess tent and said, in a casual manner, "Dad, I've cut my finger (5 second pause) ....off" and held it up for all to see in his other hand. No-one felt like any dinner then for some reason.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts