BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is is possible to trickle charge the battery though the DC ports? I know that the battery is easy to access on the LT but I am looking to do this for both my LT and my partner's R1100RT (where the battery is far less accessible). Being able to do this through the power ports would make it much easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,333 Posts
Mark,
From what I have read here and understand, yes, you can charge the battery through the BMW power outlets. You'll probably have to go to the BMW shop (don't forget your wallet :histerica ) to get the adapter. You might do a search to make sure I'm right. Wouldn't lead someone astray on purpose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I plug my Battery Doctor into the power outlet above the shifter. I am not sure but I think that the outlet on the trunk is switched, but the one near the shifter is direct. I have been doing this for a couple of years now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
awmasparky said:
. . . I am not sure but I think that the outlet on the trunk is switched, but the one near the shifter is direct. . .
Correct :)

I always plug mine in as a matter of course every time I park the bike up in my garage. I'm still on my original battery from July 2005, and so far, no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Hi Marc,

It will work fine on the LT & RT. Just to be sure that the outlet is NOT switched off, check it with a meter. If you see the battery voltage you are good to go. Also, the LT & the 1100RT DO NOT have canbus so that is not a problem. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
markc said:
Is is possible to trickle charge the battery though the DC ports? I know that the battery is easy to access on the LT but I am looking to do this for both my LT and my partner's R1100RT (where the battery is far less accessible). Being able to do this through the power ports would make it much easier.

Absolutely ! The port on the left side by your tip over bar is hot all the time and I have had a trickle charger connected there any time it is in the garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Au contraire! You can buy the BMW style power plug for $9.95 at Cycle Gear either in-store or via their web site. I bought three when I made the purchase.There are also other sites on the web where you can get the plugs for less than the cost at at a dealer.

I also mounted an American style accessory plug on the tupperware just below the driver seat on the left side. Connected it directly to the battery through a 10A fuse. It has proven to be very handy!




Loren

Lee510 said:
Mark,
From what I have read here and understand, yes, you can charge the battery through the BMW power outlets. You'll probably have to go to the BMW shop (don't forget your wallet :histerica ) to get the adapter. You might do a search to make sure I'm right. Wouldn't lead someone astray on purpose.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
94 Posts
I don't have power in the garage, so I use a Black & Decker battery booster http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290510384124&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT , a BMW cigarrette lighter adapter ($4.00), plug one end into my car lighter socket and the other end in the LT's power port near the gear lever. Don't start the car but just leave connected for a few minutes, lights on the gadget turn green, unplug the cable, start your bike and smile. I am very happy with this arrangement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
On a previous LT I owned, several other BMW's & a Triumph in between I have plugged my Battery Tender to the accessory outlet and seemed to work fine. Recently I read somewhere, that while this works, it is better to go directly to the battery. So that is what I am doing currently, especially since the dealer had already attached the pigtail to the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
I picked up a connector at my dealer for $10, and I have charged up to the 10a setting through it. I didn't want to modify my charger, so I just made a dongle with studs that the charger clips onto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
The Deltran battery tenders come with two sets of pigtails. One set is standard clips the other is a capped connector that you connect to your battery permenantly. The length allows me to leave the capped connector just under the left side of the seat. Easy to plug in and I know i have a direct connection to the battery.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top