BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 K1200LT.

I just drove it 300 miles away from home and I had a RED Triangle with a "!" warning light come on.

I figured it might be a low oil warning...

I was in bright day light and had a hard time seeing the oil level sight glass while on the road. It looked a little low. I topped off the oil with about 2 ounces and the light went off for about 15 min and came back on. I drove it about 20 miles with the light on to get back to the house where I am staying at---I did not notice any performance issues.

When I checked it back at the house, the Oil Level is right in the middle of the sight glass.

The temperature is OK,

Any idea what else I need to check?

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Reactions: saddleman

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have suffered through problems with the red triangle for a year and a half. It started as a problem that would only appear when I pressed the rear brake and got progressively worse causing the rear brake to lock up until I turned off the ignition and reset the circuitry. I tried topping off the brake fluid in the rear reservoirs first, but no change. Next I did a complete flush of the ABS system, front and back. No change. Suggestions were made that the rear brake switch may be defective or the battery a bit weak, so I replaced both. No change. I finally ordered the Spiegler brake line kit and upgraded the rear brake hoses. I'll do the front hoses and another complete ABS flush in the spring. That seemed to solve the problem. I took a 3000 mile trip and never once had the red triangle reappear. The bike sat for a couple weeks because the rear tire was bald when I returned from my trip. I'm in a dead zone when it comes to BMW Motorrad dealers so I had to drive the 140 miles to Countryside near Chicago to get the tire replaced. 10 miles before reaching my destination the rear wheel locked up and this time it didn't matter whether I used the front or the rear brake. I had it picked up and taken to the dealer where at first they said there were no codes indicating a brake failure. However, after 2 days of troubleshooting they said the computer told them to replace the rear brake switch. I was skeptical that this was a real fix because I had replaced the switch about 2 months back and adjusted it as specified in Clymer's Manual. I have since ridden it about 300 miles and the failure hasn't returned so I'll keep my fingers crossed that the first $50 microswitch that I replaced was bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

I will take it apart when I get home.... I think you might be right. I can only see the break light on Right and Left...

Did not realize there was a center light.

Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.