BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 K1200 LT. The radio sucks. I get very few stations and the ones I do get are so full of static you can't understand what you are listening to. Is this normal or Is there a problem with the radio or antenna?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
trappered said:
I recently purchased a 2000 K1200 LT. The radio sucks. I get very few stations and the ones I do get are so full of static you can't understand what you are listening to. Is this normal or Is there a problem with the radio or antenna?
I wouldn't say 'normal', butt it has happened and there should be some previous threads about it. Back in the day, ole Toad developed those symptoms and we corrected it by removing the antenna and cleaning (read canned air) out the receptacle that the antenna lives in. Also, we shined up the antenna lower tip end; made sure the spring wuzn't kinked; and inserted the antenna with care not to leave it touching the sides of the hole. While we were doing that, along with some other service, we took the rear speaker barrel connector apart (under the passenger seat) and applied di-electric grease to all the pins and holes. Solved the problem, butt - we don't use the dang radio anymore, cuz we bluetoothed the iPhone to the helmet (Sena SMH10 unit), and there are plenty of apps for news and music for me.

There is another end to the antenna cable that lives at the radio unit in the stingray - I've never tackled that one, butt if it's loose, it's conceivable that it also could contribute to the situation.

So - just a spiff up job where you can easily access things will hopefully give you decent reception. Good luck.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I had poor reception too & I did the opposite of Dick I checked the connection at the radio & it was loose. I did clean & use grease on all the connections. It works great now.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,106 Posts
Radio? Radio? This thing has a Radio?:p

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yes, It's the antenna... The base gets a really crummy connection and the spring sometimes will cause it to short out and that's why the bad reception...

I fixed mine by putting some shrink tubing over most of the spring and only shrinking it near the terminal end... this lets the spring still compress and not short out the antena..

Good Luck...

John

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I will +1 on checking the antenna spring and make sure there is a ball in the base of the antenna under the spring. Without the ball and spring making good contact you get only very strong stations and they won't stay strong for long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts