BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 K1200LT which I purchased over the summer and have ridden it for a few days now. This bike does not have reverse(any longer). It has a 6 speed transmission which I'm thinking has come off another model. It runs and rides very well. I believe all the K1200LT's came with a 5 speed transmission. Am I wrong on that? Is it possible to find out the type of bike this transmission came off by using the serial number from the transmission? Thanks for any info.
Tony

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I have a 1999 K1200LT which I purchased over the summer and have ridden it for a few days now. This bike does not have reverse(any longer). It has a 6 speed transmission which I'm thinking has come off another model. It runs and rides very well. I believe all the K1200LT's came with a 5 speed transmission. Am I wrong on that? Is it possible to find out the type of bike this transmission came off by using the serial number from the transmission? Thanks for any info.
Tony
I am not your tranny subject matter expert. But I can tell you that all OEM K1200LTs came with a 5 speed tranny with a reverse.

Someone must have swapped in a compatible 6 speed transmission. What model bike it might have came from is beyond me, but I would suspect a similar year K1200, maybe a GT or RS?

Others who know more will chime in. Saddleman or jzeiler will probably know.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Tony
As CharlieVT posted, it is probably a repair or modification done using a K1200RS (1998-2005) or K1200GT (2003-2005) transmission. I have never tried, but I am 99% sure these would fit the clutch bell housing of ANY K1200LT sharing the same "brick-engine" design. Someone on the K1200RS forum has done the reverse swap: install a K1200LT engine mated to a K1200RS transmission into the frame of a K1200RS (he had found a very cheap K1200LT engine to replace broken engine on his K1200RS).

See lower section of attached document (link below picture) for the transmission serial number scheme used on BMW of that era. The letter "F" or "H" will clarify the source of this transmission.

Using the same PDF document, you can ALSO check the source of your engine Serial-number in case it is not from a K1200LT of same year as your bike (or minus 1 year in production). NOTE missing info in PDF document: engine of K1200RS/K1200GT have letter "EA" as "Federal-Emission-code", HOWEVER a "real" K1200LT engine should have letter "EC" as shown in 2nd attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Serial #'s won't help you if someone put RS gears into an LT case.

which is also very possible. :corn:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,899 Posts
This cut away is an RS transmission. Note the end cap on the starter. The second photo is a normal LT transmission with the starter in the reverse area.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts