BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, who ever suggested Harbor Tools for a 14mm hex socket, Thank you. I purchased a set for $12.70. Anyway, opinions please, does anyone have answer to (Should I remove the skid plate to access the drain plug for the trannie on an `02 LTC ? ).The 14mm hex socket on a 1/2 driver doesn`t fit .

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just changed mine Saturday. Remove the exhaust hanger which is just under the drain plug. I found that a 5/8 socket fits or a 16mm if you can find one. There is an allen bolt on the exhaust system ,too.
Then use the 14mm allen in a 14mm box end wrench to take out the plug.
Tight fit but better than removing the other stuff in the way.

You should take off the foot peg and remove the fill plug first, that way you can be sure the plug is not seized preventing refilling the tranny.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
656 Posts
tenrocky said:
First off, who ever suggested Harbor Tools for a 14mm hex socket, Thank you. I purchased a set for $12.70. Anyway, opinions please, does anyone have answer to (Should I remove the skid plate to access the drain plug for the trannie on an `02 LTC ? ).The 14mm hex socket on a 1/2 driver doesn`t fit .
No need to remove the skid plate just the righthand side driver and passenger foot pegs plates on the front peg just pull the bolts and tie it out of the way. you'll also have to take the exhaust hanger off its a bit of a pita but do able at that point a 3/8 drive and the 14mm hexhead will reach the drain plug.

Remember to fashion a drain funnel to catch oil or you're going to have a big mess

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Kra961 said:
Remember to fashion a drain funnel to catch oil or you're going to have a big mess
I also use Puppy Training pads under the bike to catch "Splattered " oil as you WILL NOT catch all the oil. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
656 Posts
katnapinn said:
I also use Puppy Training pads under the bike to catch "Splattered " oil as you WILL NOT catch all the oil. :rolleyes:
Nothing worse then trying to clean up gear lube

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The "Remove the skid plate" instruction applies only to the '05 and newer LT's. The power center stand won't allow the access you need with the skid plate on the bike.

As mentioned above you only need o remove the exhaust hanger doohickey.

Loren

·
Registered
656 Posts
wa1200lt said:
The "Remove the skid plate" instruction applies only to the '05 and newer LT's. The power center stand won't allow the access you need with the skid plate on the bike.

As mentioned above you only need o remove the exhaust hanger doohickey.

Loren
Loren there is no need to remove the skid plate unless you can't find the metric drain plug kit sold by harbor freight that has a 14mm hexhead that will fit on a 3/8 drive. I just did mine and I bought the Kit from harbor freight works great!. the hexhead and ratchet fit in between the center stand and drain plug.

·
Registered
938 Posts
You can also just make your own 14mm hex out of 3/8 bolt and nut if you tack weld it on. Or 2 bolts amd lock them together

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
I don't remove the skid plate on my 05 but I do use a cut down section of 14mm allen stock. It is dificult to fit the original sized allen in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts