BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
A few years ago some guys thought the 140 was good. I suggest that the preponderance of evidence, your Honor, argues that following the OEM recommendations is the best... that being the 75W-90*

My personal favorite is ****** 75W-90 Severe Gear. Yummy!

On the other hand BMW (who owned Land Rover) has recommended a certain Castrol Gear lube which is not imported into the US. If you go to your Land Rover dealer you can get the LRN 7591 Gear Oil... ought to work well too.

OBTW I use the Land Rover Gear Oil in my Final Drive.

* most of those guys have come back to the OEM spec.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I use oil from my turkey fryer...

John

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
hopz said:
My personal favorite is ****** 75W-90 Severe Gear. Yummy!
****** full synthetic gear lube. Starts with an A add an M then S then O then I then L. :p

The asterisks are system edited name. Stupid editing and censorship. :mad: :wtf:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I agree.. This site is not owned by the ****** nazi's anymore...

We don't need censorship here.. Free A M S O I L !!!!!!

Not that I use it or would ever use it.. I just don't like censorship...

As to the OP's question.. As long as their is oil in there, Any oil, You'll be fine..

John

·
Registered
80 Posts
I switched to ****** 75W-90 Severe Gear at 6K service and it shifts much smoother.
I know it wasn't due,but I wanted to switch to ****** and while tupperware was off I figured I may as well get it done.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
According to the latest service manual release the Final Drive and Transmission use the same Gear oil. I looked at older RT's and the change was also made. 2005 and newer use the same oil. 75W/90.

If the BMW stuff is too expensive then use the Land Rover gear oil P/N LRN 7591.

http://www.parts.com/parts/index.cf...archText=LRN7591&action=oePartSearch&siteid=2

See attachment.

180cc in the Final Drive. NOT the old 200cc capacity.

Best way to change the FD gear oil would be when replacing your rear tire. No brainer.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
JPSpen said:
I agree.. This site is not owned by the ****** nazi's anymore...

We don't need censorship here.. Free A M S O I L !!!!!!

Not that I use it or would ever use it.. I just don't like censorship...

As to the OP's question.. As long as their is oil in there, Any oil, You'll be fine..

John
I might buy it if it wasn't marketed like Amway or Mary Kay.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
6speedTi said:
According to the latest service manual release the Final Drive and Transmission use the same Gear oil. I looked at older RT's and the change was also made. 2005 and newer use the same oil. 75W/90.

If the BMW stuff is too expensive then use the Land Rover gear oil P/N LRN 7591.

http://www.parts.com/parts/index.cf...archText=LRN7591&action=oePartSearch&siteid=2

See attachment.

180cc in the Final Drive. NOT the old 200cc capacity.

Best way to change the FD gear oil would be when replacing your rear tire. No brainer.
I'll just use Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The SAF-XO is for NON-limited slip applications.
The SAF-XJ is for Limited slip applications.

Gear oil approved for limited slip use has a additive incorporated in the oil.
This falls under the SAF-XJ designation.
This is why I believe that the SAF-XO is for non-limited slip applications because it
lacks the additive needed for the limited slip differentials.
BMW must have found cause to make sure the additive does not make its way into the FD.
The additive in general does no harm if you do not need it but maybe BMW feels otherwise through their R&D. Either way while I am under warranty I will use the proper gear oil.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
6speedTi said:

This is why I believe that the SAF-XO is for non-limited slip applications because it
BMW must have found cause to make sure the additive does not make its way into the FD.
The additive in general does no harm if you do not need it but maybe BMW feels otherwise through their R&D. Either way while I am under warranty I will use the proper gear oil.
Great, another oil thread. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
6speedTi said:
Well not really a oil thread, a gear oil maybe but this thread was already open a while back.
When someone say they will use proper gear oil and what BMW recommends, it's gets sticky. BMW or any other vehicle manufacturer can't require an owner use a particular brand of oil or whatever else to maintain the vehicle. They can only give a specification it has to meet and they can recommend, but that is as far as it goes. The proper gear oil is one that meets the specification, regardless of brand.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
6speedTi said:

When I asked for gear oil, my dealer gave me the SAF-XO for trans and FD

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Ponch said:
I imagine that is what they sell.
I agree. As long at it meets the specs any brand should be good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.