BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that during my 600 mile oil change they only did the engine and diffrential and not the transmission. I would assume if the were concerned about metal particle from the lapping of the ring and pinion, they'd be concerned about the transmission too since there's a lot of metal to metal contact there too. Can I safely change this myself and use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 which is what I want to use in the diffrential too. What I really want to know is, why didn't they address the gear wear in the transmission.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
BMWK1200LT said:
why didn't they address the gear wear in the transmission.
Because they already know that it takes about 100K to get any transmission "gear wear"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SilverBuffalo said:
Because they already know that it takes about 100K to get any transmission "gear wear"

Really. I've never see a transmission make it 100K in any vehicle so if my 2009 make 100K without a rebuild I'll be impressed. This is my first BMW so I am leary of everything an virtually have no faith but have heard the same stories many times. We'll see. So can you use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 in this transmission?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
From what I've seen/read the tranny or gear box is pretty much bullet proof. You will rarely hear one that failed. If you grind gears or drop it on the shift linkage and break the fork, your toast but normal abuse from the rider, its a safe bet, she'll out last the next owners. I replaced mine at 135K. I'd somehow broken the fork, not good when at speed to go into two gears at once.... :rolleyes:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,256 Posts
BMWK1200LT said:
Really. I've never see a transmission make it 100K in any vehicle so if my 2009 make 100K without a rebuild I'll be impressed.
Sorry you have had such bad luck with trannys. My MGB went 235K before I sold it my daughters 95 toyota went 385K before she sold it and Don Arthur's LT went 320K+ when he wrecked it. Sure some will fail sooner but if you are careful and don't power shift and "jam" it in gear changes, it will last a long time.

I only had a small amount of powder on the magnet on my first oil change @12K for my LT tranny. Now the fluid looks the same coming out as it went in and no more fuzz @52K.

Any good quality gear lube will do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shoswell said:
From what I've seen/read the tranny or gear box is pretty much bullet proof. You will rarely hear one that failed. If you grind gears or drop it on the shift linkage and break the fork, your toast but normal abuse from the rider, its a safe bet, she'll out last the next owners. I replaced mine at 135K. I'd somehow broken the fork, not good when at speed to go into two gears at once.... :rolleyes:

Thank you for the come back. This means I have many years of good service to come. What oil did you run?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
BMWK1200LT said:
Really. I've never see a transmission make it 100K in any vehicle
Really - all the vehicles I have owned have surpassed 100K miles:

1978 VW Rabbit - sold 1982 w/ 108K
1982 Audi 4000 - sold 1989 w/ 127K
1990 BMW 525 - sold 2009 w/ 263K (really had more - speedo/odo worked intermittently for about 1 year in 1993)

2004 Honda S2000 - currently has about 85K and going strong

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jzeiler said:
Sorry you have had such bad luck with trannys. My MGB went 235K before I sold it my daughters 95 toyota went 385K before she sold it and Don Arthur's LT went 320K+ when he wrecked it. Sure some will fail sooner but if you are careful and don't power shift and "jam" it in gear changes, it will last a long time.

I only had a small amount of powder on the magnet on my first oil change @12K for my LT tranny. Now the fluid looks the same coming out as it went in and no more fuzz @52K.

Any good quality gear lube will do.
Thank you. I think I'll go with the Amoil Severe Gear 75W-90 especially after I read about the test they put it through. I'd like to attach the .pdf file but it looks like I can't. It is however on the Amoil site

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay you guys win. I'm outta here. Thanks for all the positive input. I shall return with additonal questions as time goes on.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
BMWK1200LT said:
Okay you guys win. I'm outta here. Thanks for all the positive input. I shall return with additonal questions as time goes on.
You'll find that most everyone here is willing to help, share knowledge and know how,
but nobody wants to talk about "that same question you asked four different times"
besides you've already had your answer,
it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what kind of oil you use (but I think you already know that)
nobody here wants to waste their time debating brand names.

Now when you have a "real" question, you'll get some real answers.

·
Registered
989 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
...nobody here wants to waste their time debating brand names....
Whadd'ya mean? I was thinking about this engine oil I saw on late-night TV. The manufacturer did tests; the results are on their website. Apparently, increases mileage, longevity, gives you fresh breath and cures herpes. They were demonstrating it by cooking up in a frying pan. Now, if I could just recall the brand name, I'd debate it here with you! Whether you like it or not!

:wave

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
rdwalker said:
I'd debate it here with you! Whether you like it or not! :wave
As the "outlaw Josey whales" would say

pffl..tt

"how does it work on stains!" :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts