BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 has transmission problems, it jumps out of 3rd and 4th. I am shopping for a used transmission to replace mine. I have seen several later model low mileage transmissions.

Questions:

  1. Will a later model transmission install without any problems?
  2. Has anybody actually done it?
  3. What is the difference?
Any help in getting this problem fixed quickly and at low cost is greatly appreciated.

PS: I just got back from an almost 2,000 mile trip to Big Bend. Believe it or not: I generally kept up in the twisties with Grif on his GT while using only 1st, 2nd, and 5th gear. (Grif is my witness) Not something I like to do on a regular basis, but it was a nice challenge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
As far as I can tell from all the posts here over the years, the only difference in transmissions is that beginning with the 2005 model they increased the gear ratio for fifth gear to make the bike a little more "spirited" in fifth. Other than that, I do not believe there are any differences. I would have liked a little more RPM in fifth on my LT's, so see this as a good thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to have Lone Star do it. Seems to me that it is not a DYI job. Have you done one? It would be fun to really tear into the Big Girl, but given that I work full time and don't have a shop at home I was going to spend the $$ and have them replace the various oil seals and clutch slave cylinder as well. I am talking to Tony of LT parts about buying a transmission from him.

That way I will be back on the road and enjoy riding.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
Probably a good idea to have them do the work.. While at it, maybe buy a new tranny... so you have a "known good" one... at least it will be warranted.

Now, tell me, do you use your clutch fully disengaged when you shift gears? Just curious what might cause the wear and subsequent gear popping.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
This happened with my 99 and 02 LT transmissions. Shift dogs were bent and they had to replace them and the shafts the gears rode on. Luckily under warrnaty in both cases. It wasn't a common problem and I was definitely harder than most on my trannies (that sounds like porn, sorry). If an 05 will bolt up between the engine and final drive from the 99 I would go for that; I've never heard of an 05+ tranny having this issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DavidTaylor said:
This happened with my 99 and 02 LT transmissions. Shift dogs were bent and they had to replace them and the shafts the gears rode on. Luckily under warrnaty in both cases. It wasn't a common problem and I was definitely harder than most on my trannies (that sounds like porn, sorry). If an 05 will bolt up between the engine and final drive from the 99 I would go for that; I've never heard of an 05+ tranny having this issue.
David, it didnt sound like transsexual porn till you mentioned it...:rotf:

Thanks for the background, I expected something like that. From all I have been able to find out, the later transmission will bolt right up. I would still like to hear from someone that has actually done it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cfell said:
Probably a good idea to have them do the work.. While at it, maybe buy a new tranny... so you have a "known good" one... at least it will be warranted.

Now, tell me, do you use your clutch fully disengaged when you shift gears? Just curious what might cause the wear and subsequent gear popping.
A new transmission would be nice...but it costs $3,360. And, no I have always preloaded the shifter and squeezed the gears in nicely with partial clutch, no clanking, no force, maybe that has contributed, but I have done this all my (now pretty long) life and never had problems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
Wolfgang said:
A new transmission would be nice...but it costs $3,360. And, no I have always preloaded the shifter and squeezed the gears in nicely with partial clutch, no clanking, no force, maybe that has contributed, but I have done this all my (now pretty long) life and never had problems.
Glad to hear it, because that is how I've been shifting, too.

$3,360.. gasp, choke... That's a heck of a down payment on the next bike!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
This happened with my 99 and 02 LT transmissions. Shift dogs were bent and they had to replace them and the shafts the gears rode on. Luckily under warrnaty in both cases. It wasn't a common problem and I was definitely harder than most on my trannies (that sounds like porn, sorry). If an 05 will bolt up between the engine and final drive from the 99 I would go for that; I've never heard of an 05+ tranny having this issue.
Dave I woul say you were having trouble with the bent shifting forks not the dogs on the gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
Re: Transmission 99-01

Wolfgang said:
My 99 has transmission problems, it jumps out of 3rd and 4th. I am shopping for a used transmission to replace mine. I have seen several later model low mileage transmissions.

Questions:

  1. Will a later model transmission install without any problems?
  2. Has anybody actually done it?
  3. What is the difference?
Any help in getting this problem fixed quickly and at low cost is greatly appreciated.

PS: I just got back from an almost 2,000 mile trip to Big Bend. Believe it or not: I generally kept up in the twisties with Grif on his GT while using only 1st, 2nd, and 5th gear. (Grif is my witness) Not something I like to do on a regular basis, but it was a nice challenge.
D Shealy is off on this one.
I would say 99 through 01 transmissions are compatable. In 02 the speed sensor was removed from the FD and mounted on the transmission !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Since we're talking about swapping transmissions, here's a question I've often wondered. Do you have to use an LT tranny in an LT? Can you use one from another K platform, like a GT? Would be nice to have 6th gear...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts
grifscoots said:
Then you wouldn't have a reverse, so it's been said.
I havent had reverse in two years but in South Texas, I am not sure I would have ever used it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
Re: Transmission 99-01

grifscoots said:
Couldn't you just plug the sensor hole?
You have a point there.
As long as the speedo sensor's are the same you could then route the rear wheel sensor to the R side of the trans.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
murray said:
Dave I woul say you were having trouble with the bent shifting forks not the dogs on the gears.
I think you're right. It's been a while since that all happened, plus I've been under the weather for a couple of days and my head's all jumbly from that.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,924 Posts
The speed sensor was NOT moved from the rear drive to the tranny. It was combined with the rear wheel ABS sensor in late 01. The speed sensor that is on ALL LT trannys is for reverse sensing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Am I understanding all this correctly, I CAN install the later transmission into the earlier bike?
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top