BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing up another clutch job and when I removed the transmission I suspected it had a leak that wasn't from a seal.

I blocked off the vent hole and made a fitting to pressurize the transmission through the fill hole. The leak was coming from the front input shaft housing and the main housing.

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After I found the leak I hooked my vacuum pump to the fill hole adapter & applied silicone to the area of the leak. After about a half hour the vacuum held steady at 10 inches for several hours. The following day I added another coat of silicone the area.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
After I found the leak I hooked my vacuum pump to the fill hole adapter & applied silicone to the area of the leak. After about a half hour the vacuum held steady at 10 inches for several hours. The following day I added another coat of silicone the area.
So the vacuum pulled the silicone into the gap rather than pull and clean the cover and apply new sealer to the entire cover. Interesting method Dave. If I come across a similar situation, I will have to remember it.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the vacuum pulled the silicone into the gap rather than pull and clean the cover and apply new sealer to the entire cover. Interesting method Dave. If I come across a similar situation, I will have to remember it.
I don't have a fixture made to remove the cover yet & because there is no pressure inside the trans. I figured it will work fine. The leak is in a area that will only make a mess. It wouldn't get to the clutch disc & would come out the drain hole I now have in the clutch housing.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I don't have a fixture made to remove the cover yet & because there is no pressure inside the trans. I figured it will work fine. The leak is in a area that will only make a mess. It wouldn't get to the clutch disc & would come out the drain hole I now have in the clutch housing.
If it is holding 10 inches of vacuum, I would not worry about it leaking any longer and I agree, the trans is not under pressure. Air molecules are much smaller than oil molecules so if the air doesn't leak, neither will the oil.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Now that's why us old blokes can still run rings around the young bucks. Years of experience put to good use and thinking outside the box. You're a bloody genius Dave. :yeah:

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
I'm finishing up another clutch job and when I removed the transmission I suspected it had a leak that wasn't from a seal.

I blocked off the vent hole and made a fitting to pressurize the transmission through the fill hole. The leak was coming from the front input shaft housing and the main housing.
Was it a hole/crack in the case? Or was it coming from the gasket between the cases?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was it a hole/crack in the case? Or was it coming from the gasket between the cases?
There is no gasket just a non hardening sealer. It was leaking where the soap bubbles are between the cover & housing.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
This was the best option since you do not remove the cover from the transmission, you remove the transmission from the cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nice... That's thinking outside the box. It's just a nuisance leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts