BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how often this happens but this has cost me having my bike for nearly a half a year fighting with the warranty company and I now still get to shell out another grand for a new clutch as a result. I could go with a used gear box and save $2500 over what the cost of a new gear box runs. I'm not sure the SHOP would go for that. So it's either shell out a grand or possibly pick up a check for $1500.

In either case it really sucks!

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh... that's $8,600 in repair costs over my 7,000 miles of ownership over the last two years...... But who's counting right?!? :histerica

·
Registered
5 Posts
8600 bucks in repair costs? OMG! well, i hope the warranty covered this right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
that's what it costed me to change the transmission on my MBZ.
But in your case I would just take my time and do it myself for a couple hundred $$.
Good luck.
Dominique

·
Registered
550 Posts
atrovarious said:
Oh... that's $8,600 in repair costs over my 7,000 miles of ownership over the last two years...... But who's counting right?!? :histerica
Sometimes it is just better to cut your losses and change bikes. Even with new trans. your bike is not worth as much as you have put into it. But....I assume I am preaching to the chior. ;)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Tuff call there Ghaison..... You could look at it like this.. Tranny problems solved and a warranty on the tranny that is separate from your standard warranty, right? (if they did it)

No warranty on doing it yourself, but gain lots of experience points by doing so, yes?
I look at it as what can you afford to put in, how will you gain if any in todays market..

It is a buyers market now..not good for those of us wanting to part with our rides..
Laffing, this is coming from a guy that bought (do not tease me- all that could be afforded in the day!) a CHevette, GMs economical Vette in the day, WHen the tire blew at 400 miles on the clock, a bell should have gone off in the brain.. WHat a piece of shinola.. then the tranny at 26k, timing belt at 40k and then again at 70K... bearings and clutch somewhere between all this... I put loads of money in this thing and got nothing for it... I was HAPPY i got 500 on the trade in.....
Piece of poo from the beginning..but I never really liked it tho- so my emotional strings were different..

Back to the bike thing...
Its emotional and financial...not good to invest this and get neither...

ONe hand do it yourself and get experience points, save money... Might be a bonding experience.... :D

might even like doing it ...

Cant tell you what would be best for your situation,,,,, good luck on whatever your decision is..

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Having just (two months ago) replaced my gear box. Going through the process of sorting out the tools needed, sourcing the parts and more importantly gleaning every piece of knowledge from this site and others, IMHO you are getting hosed on the price. While I originally considered the stealer as an option the HIGH price made me complete the project myself (with local help) If I had it to do over again, I would have repaired my original gear box at Rubber Chicken Racing, They seem to have a great reputation and after speaking with the owner I can understand why. Instead I sourced the GB from ebay at a higher price, becasue i wanted it now. Even then it was less than a grand for a '01 with 24K (so they say) the remainder of the parts needed totaled less than $1500. A week of working two-three hours a day and it was done. Runns great and I did it myself! :rotf:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haughty said:
Tuff call there Ghaison..... You could look at it like this.. Tranny problems solved and a warranty on the tranny that is separate from your standard warranty, right? (if they did it)

No warranty on doing it yourself, but gain lots of experience points by doing so, yes?
I look at it as what can you afford to put in, how will you gain if any in todays market..

It is a buyers market now..not good for those of us wanting to part with our rides..
Laffing, this is coming from a guy that bought (do not tease me- all that could be afforded in the day!) a CHevette, GMs economical Vette in the day, WHen the tire blew at 400 miles on the clock, a bell should have gone off in the brain.. WHat a piece of shinola.. then the tranny at 26k, timing belt at 40k and then again at 70K... bearings and clutch somewhere between all this... I put loads of money in this thing and got nothing for it... I was HAPPY i got 500 on the trade in.....
Piece of poo from the beginning..but I never really liked it tho- so my emotional strings were different..

Back to the bike thing...
Its emotional and financial...not good to invest this and get neither...

ONe hand do it yourself and get experience points, save money... Might be a bonding experience.... :D

might even like doing it ...

Cant tell you what would be best for your situation,,,,, good luck on whatever your decision is..

All good points...
I'm not sure about the warranty on a new trans and clutch... might be worth it though we are talking about a $2500 swing one way or the other...
I have several mods on my bike.
Radar detector, screamer, laser jammer, new z-screen, Rhemus titanium exhaust, gps, HID, Leather heated Gel seats, ipod ice interface, luggage rack with LED brake light, lowered pegs, etc....
It really wouldn't pay to sell it but it sure doesn't pay to ride it either.....LOL

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this a sealed bearing? With little to no load on it? Just seems so ridiculous.

I should also mention that I did the first repair myself because the warranty company screwed me. It cost me $3260 bucks less the the stealorship.

I would have done so on this one as well but I wanted the warranty company to pay...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts