BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 Lt hit hard on a gate rail going into a apt complex, the centerstand bracket broke off a hole (Just 1 bracket) in the transmission case. I didn't feel welding would help so I brought a whole transmission off ebay in hopes of taking out the insides of the one I brought and putting my working insides in the case. I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE that thinks I have a shot of making the work! The transmission brought does not work according to the seller.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
How badly broken is your original? Leaking oil?

If not, is the structural integrity of the bike affected or just the bash plate? If just the bash plate, I'd consider just removing it and going on with life. Why you ruling out welding? Again, if not leaking oil, might consider an adhesive repair.

On the transmission you bought....... Why is it in a non working state? Yes, possible to move your internal parts into another case but if the replacement one is damaged you may be wasting your time and effort. For someone of good mechanical abilities and aptitude, not hard to do.

If you go swapping transmissions, be a real good idea to do the weep hole for the clutch slave cylinder when its apart.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I'd pull it and confer with the best aluminum welder I could find before I tried to swap it out. We have a welder here who repairs cases for us and the cost is small compared to swapping internal parts.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,068 Posts
Get your old one welded becuase you need to do too much work with special tools to shim each shaft (three of them) to the new case or it will just eat itself up.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Some one on this site went through something similar.

Was it Ari?

I seem to remember he had his weld back together?

With the many times I hit my transmission bash plate I wouldn't consider life without it.

One if the nice results of inatalling after market shocks is that the raised my LT. As a result I can go over speed bumps without having ro come to almost a complete stop. The down side is that The Beast is even less stable at low-no speed.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts