BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi a mod i found a year or so ago on the site. it doesn't prevent failures but does let you know very early you have a problem(in your parking stall most likely not half way through a long trip) attached is a picture of the weep hole you drill in the bell housing.

it you find an oil drip on the floor you can see the weep hole when the bike is on the centerstand & does not allow oil to build up in the bell housing and if it leaks buy the smell of what is leaking you can prob, figure out what is leaking(slave/rear engine seal or tranny seal)the fluids all smell different(motor oil/gear oil/hydraulic fluid)
i am not saying it will save your clutch but it might and you will know early

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
I don't know if that one really helps as any leakage in that area will come right out of the joint since it is not sealed. I did drill one and stuck a pipe cleaner up in there and never saw anything. But when I tore it apart there was no oil at all just some slightly soaked clutch residue stuck to the upper walls.

I had worn out my clutch pulling a trailer over 6,000 miles with poor clutch management proceedures. I just wore it out a bit prematurely.

Best thing you can do is regularly clean the area under the engine and keep an eye on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts